





I think this is the longest I've ever gone between blogging.
So much has happened over the last few weeks. So much. I'm not even sure where to begin.
The neck is healed though. Thank heavens.
Much of the last month was spent getting Hailey ready to go to Hawaii. She spent almost every second working her hiney off at her many jobs. We decided to host a luau in her honor which is decidely unlike us. We are not hosting type people. I ordered salads from a lady in town who does catering and we bought out the dollar store of their Hawaiian type crap. Another friend gave us 2 rubber maid boxes of assorted Hawaiian decor. We made a trip to Bend and bought a bunch of meat at cash and carry. Then Kris cut up all the meat and I marinated it.
The trip to Bend was also kindof our last hurrah as a family with Hailey and we celebrated Kris's birthday at the Olive Garden and also shopped and caught the minion movie.
Brooke spent that Saturday at a sheep clinic where she learned how to show her lamb/sheep. Whatever it's called.
Amanda and Shelby drove to Idaho to a weeklong basketball camp.
Back to the luau. I sent several invitations via facebook and Kris invited assorted people via word of mouth. We probably invited 75 people. We were trying for a mix of folks who have known Hailey over the years. We borrowed a barbecue-ing set up from my best friend's family. We also bought mixed drink supplies to make strawberry daqueri's. (My spelling has taken a luau).
Monday night we returned home from work to find that Brooke and Gpa Jim had mowed the lawn. We all pitched in to decorate and then the chaos ensued. Kris and some of his friends started barbecue-ing the shish ka bobs (I'm totally making up the spelling kids).... My parents began mixing drinks in the blenders and I ran back and forth between all of the tables making sure that the food was flowing and that nothing ran out. The guests arrived and we brought them plastic lei's to wear and the music was rocking. I think everyone pretty much enjoyed themselves. Lots of people came. I had too much food but that was quickly divyed up (still making up the spelling here). It was a rather cold night so we passed out sweatshirts. Kris had researched games and he had people playing balloon tag, mango wars, and basketball of course.
Hailey visited with her friends and then when the festivities ended we all pretty much crashed.
Tuesday Grandma and Grandpa left and we worked and tried to put everything back together in the house.
Hailey Mae packed up her room and cried herself to sleep as one does when all of life is changing and one is leaving for college.
Wednesday we drove her to Boise and spent the night in a hotel.
Early Thursday we put her on a plane to paradise after rearranging her luggage into an extra suitcase.
We drove on to Boise where we did some shopping for Brooke including purchasing a few pairs of cowgirl boots. (We have a genuine lamb raising FFA member in the family).
Thursday we had a birthday dinner with Kris's brother and also visited friends. When we were in Boise we learned that Kris's dad had fallen and broken his hip. It cast a huge pall on the weekend.
Friday we went to the temple early in the morning and then went and watched Amanda play ball at her camp. Shelby was featured as the camp ball handling master teacher and demonstrated her dribbling skills in front of all the parents and campers. Amanda made the all star team and we enjoyed watching her playing with the other kids at camp.
We all climbed into one car and drove from Boise to Provo arriving late in at night. We immediately went to the hospital where we were able to see Kris' s Dad. He was pretty out of it but still able to sort of say a few words. We shed some tears and told him we loved him.
Saturday we spent the day at the family reunion in Springville. Almost all of Kris's cousins were there. His sister organized most of the event and did all of the food. We tried to help as much as we could. Kris organized the games. We stayed at the reunion visiting and enjoying eachother until late. We were happy that dad had made it through surgery.
Sunday we went to the hospital where Kris's dad was nearly unresponsive. It was a big contrast to the day before. It was pretty clear that he had taken a huge turn for the worse. We all gathered around and said a family prayer. I think one of the hardest things I've ever had to do was watch my husband kiss his dad on the face for the last time.
Monday we drove home through a horrible lightening storm. On our way we dropped Brooke at EFY.
We spent today working and trying to stay busy while learning that dad's time on earth is drawing to a close.
Hailey called us to tell us she is getting ready to experience a typhoon in Hawaii.
Our bishop has told us to get prepared for some worsening economic conditions and also natural disasters.
I actually have a coworker who has requested time off work in September for the rapture. I am not kidding.
It really seems as if the world has turned upside down.
We are old enough that one of our parents is leaving our world. We are experiencing the loss of our family as we know it. Everyone is scattered .. they are trying new things... 3 of our number are gone most of the year for college.
I have spent a lot of time thinking over the past few days.
Here is what I decided.
1. My father in law is one of the best people I ever knew.
2. I should have spent more time with him.
3. I should have let my husband go on more fishing trips with him.
4. I'm so glad that I let my husband go on as many as I did and that they all have wonderful memories of the trips that they went on.
5. I am glad that my kids have such wonderful grandparents.
6. I'm glad that we have seen our families as much as possible over the years.
7. I'm glad that Stefani spent the past few years near her grand parents.
8. My sister in law is a saint and that's why I rubbed her feet for 45 minutes the other day.
9. I am going to try harder to enjoy all of our family members and really appreciate the moments we have together .. because we don't know when those moments will end.
10. I LOVE MY KIDS... I MISS THEM.
11. I love my Mother in Law and I'm sad for her. She has been a very loving and patient wife and she is going to be alone after more than 5 decades of marriage.
Anyway. We will now spend some time traveling back for funeral services and other happier things like a family wedding, a baby blessing, and getting Shelby settled for college.
I'm feeling pretty discombobulated. (more of my spelling)
The world is not right.
And it probably isn't ever going to be right again.
And that is my ramblingist post in a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment