Wednesday...........Kids checked their lambs into the Fair and weighed in. Both were approximately 135# although Amanda's lamb was lighter. They spread out the wood shavings to freshen the pen and fed and watered the lambs. Grandpa Jim arrived and we had dinner together.
Thursday............Bright and early the kids had market showing. The judge was a more experienced fellow who really knew his lambs. He was using technical terminology. Amanda and Brooke received blue ribbons for their lambs and were in the top 3-4 competitors of their group of showing people. I helped in the Lion's Booth serving people food. It was kindof a slower shift. I had lots of time to visit with people and also drink pop and people watch. The fair was being managed by different people and so there were some changes this year. Later that day our choir opened the talent show with a patriotic medley that we had performed earlier this year. It was a good program but we only had about 12 voices and 2 men.
Friday...... Grandpa and I got up early again to watch the kids do their showmanship. Shaylee their good friend and lamb compatriot took the grand champion of showmanship in her group of 4-H kids. She was so excited! Amanda was able to be 2nd and was setting up her lamb very well. Brooke was also in the top 3 of the showmanship. Her friend that bred her lamb took grand champion and the judge complimented Brooke on her abilities. He told her she was an excellent showman and probably the best except needing to slow down a bit. That night Kris, Dad and I hung out at the pizza place and visited and also saw dad's friend from home. Friday night was a home football game. We sat next to some cute 4 year olds and played catch. We also watched Brooke cheerlead and perform in a very successful half time show. She did some awesome stunts and after half time I rushed off to work. I worked the whole night.
Saturday....... I slept the morning away. Kris and Dad went to the parade. Brooke marched with the cheerleaders. Back at home the kids had fed the lambs early and then around 4 washed the lambs to get ready for the auction. Brooke was a little late to the washing party and I held her lamb while the other girls were preparing. I realized that getting an animal to cooperate is no easy feat. That lamb had other ideas. Dad and I watched the auction and kept track of the bids and the amounts. The pigs started off the auction and they were being sold for a bunch of moolah. Some of the pigs brought 15-19 dollars a pound. That's like 3 grand for a pig. My boss ended up buying chickens for $1100!!!!!! We have been razzing him about that all weekend. The lamb market was a little soft. But both Amanda and Brooke had their lambs purchased by our neighbor Larry. He bought them for about 9.5-10 dollars a pound which was definitely a good price for us. So we were very thankful. The auction ended and the girls took their lambs back to the pens for their goodbyes. While Amanda was in line for the auction a boy her age described exactly how he felt the lambs were slaughtered. It was pretty gory! Amanda and Shaylee took selfies with the lambs and then began to cry. Amanda wrapped her arms around Hamilton and actually kissed the lamb. (disgusting). Amanda asked me about lambs going to heaven and I said that I am sure somewhere in Heaven there is a gathering of all our animals. Wylie, all our cats (including the one Kris ran over), Guzzin the lamb from last year. They are all peaceful and happy and waiting for us (: Amanda had an actual prayer and then we drove home.
Sunday..........The kids had to clean up their stalls at fair and at the barn. Kris and I and dad went to church. Primary was a little rowdy. I taught the kids sign language. After church we piled a bunch of kids into cars to go to Bend for a special program. The van I was in was rowdy. I had a post fair headache and then the kids started singing. We passed out some cookies. About an hour into the adventure a boy in the back felt sick. In a moment of shear brilliance I passed back an empty tupperware container. This promptly became a repository for vomit. Miraculously all the vomit was contained in this bowl. The kid got out and walked around.. left the vomitus in container on the roadside. Sprayed some air freshener and we were off again. No smelliness and no sympathy vomiters. We got through our program, sang, ate dinner and got back on the road. On the way home the bishop either ran out of gas or had car trouble. We had to do some stopping and kid rearranging but all arrived home safely where I collapsed in a heap of tiredness.
Today..
Post fair hangover.
No comments:
Post a Comment