Friday, April 14, 2017
Technology Nightmares and Easter Thoughts
I am happy for my children. They grew up in a time where there was a lot of technology. I grew up in a time where computers were for nerds. I didn't really pay attention to many computer classes. Computers took up a whole room at the time. How I wish I had somehow decided to learn to program stuff in my spare time but I did not.
I went to college and TYPED my papers on a typewriter. The rest of the world was easing into computers and they were all saving them to floppy disks and such, while I was in the library using the typewriter and white out. Finally I got a Brother's Word Processor. I was really moving up.
Somehow Email and the Internet took over the world. I think I was about 30 when we finally got a home computer. About that time I got an email account. It was slightly cool to use and not too terribly hard but still I never took a Word class or really understood the finer points of how to navigate the computer world.
Nursing as a profession was simple then. We took care of people. Period. And we wrote about it on paper with pens. Sure it wasn't very sleek sometimes and maybe hand copying medications was more dangerous.. but you had a lot of time with people to actually help them.
Somehow, computers took over my workplace and then I had to learn how to use them to chart everything. I literally spend most of my time on a computer at work. Everything takes 5000 times as long to do because I have to help the patient and then document it in the computer. And I mean document. And sometimes it takes me 10 minutes to even log on .. because I have a gajillion passwords that I change all the time. Sometimes I write them on my name badge because they can't be simple variations anymore. They have to have a lower case, an uppercase and 45 symbols not including <+ and \ and also can't resemble any previous passwords. I feel like I need an assistant.
I used to keep all of my various passwords for emails, accounts, colleges, credit cards etc in my head. I like to think that it was a little pre dementia prevention. Lots and lots and lots of new pathways were forged in my brain as I mentally had to remember corresponding passwords.
Luckily, the hospital agrees that I need an assistant. It is called the IT department. They specialize in helping people with computer issues. I am kindof their problem child.
Once a few months ago I opened an email that cause some teensy weensy problems for everyone. So I had to have my work email changed to a variation of my old one. Thus I was not receiving any of my old emails. It was kindof nice. Until I realized I wasn't getting informed of anything. Then Nancy from IT fixed me up on some master list and it was all ok.
Then, we switched internet providers at home. That email I got when I was 30... yeah it was tied with my old internet provider. So suddenly I didn't have that account anymore. I have had to painstakingly email important contacts and update them with my new email... and any account tied to that I have had to update. It's been a serious pain. Although I did get rid of all those annoying emails from every store I've ever shopped at.
This is boring I know and not exciting in the least... but I need to document my utter frustration at the world in which we live and the technological advances that are leaving me behind.
In the dust.....
First world problems, I know. But it makes me nostalgic for the days of phones with rotary dials and long extension cords. Old TV's with 3 channels and rabbit ears. You know, the simple days.
I wonder if when cars came out if people with horses and buggies were scared of them and not anxious to give up their old ways.. or if the first people to use radios were reluctant. I often think of my grandparents and all of the many changes that they experienced and embraced. My grandpa loved his computer! And to do all the things he learned to do in his 80's and 90's is remarkable.
Many of our medical advancements continue to happen with technology on a cellular level. We fight cancer much differently than even 5 years ago. We use more biotherapy than chemotherapy and it is really interesting. Think medicines that target the actual cancer itself, not just all healthy cells. My grandma used to keep up with quite a bit of the early research on some of this. She would have benefited I think from some of the treatments we use now.
Anyway. Those are my conflicting thoughts on technology.
For Easter Weekend we are going to a friends house and eating a marvelous dinner. I am bringing a green salad. It is a blessing that after working a ton this week I can still enjoy the holiday with people we love and yummy food. I am pretty undeserving of all the wonderful friends I enjoy.
Hopefully the weather is going to somehow convert into spring. We are still having hail, snow, and wind. I discovered a metal pumpkin that had been in the yard since September! That's how much snow we had and although it's only been melted about a month.. we aren't exactly hanging outside all day for me to notice the decor.
I am grateful for Easter and for my Savior.
So many times I get frustrated with life. I don't live a perfect life. Not even close. I struggle, really struggle with seeing the positive. My house is messy.. I work too much. I don't feel like I have been a good enough mother... I constantly feel like I am behind on the things I need to be doing. I feel tired and beaten down. I feel powerless to help those I love. I procrastinate.. Most of what has saved me through everything is my sense of humor. I don't cry a lot... I laugh at myself and how pathetic I am!
When things are really hard.. I am reminded that because of Him.. I don't have to be perfect. That my efforts are not in vain. That there is Hope in a better tomorrow. That because He died, we will live again with those that we love. That eventually it will all be sorted out. It will all make sense.
I am grateful that I had the opportunity to come to earth and grow up in a family that taught me the gospel and loved me. That I had a home and enough to eat. That I was able to meet my husband. I'm grateful that I was blessed with 5 of the best human beings to raise. I am glad that they have been healthy and are growing into lovely independent women.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke
No comments:
Post a Comment