Saturday, July 15, 2017
Amanda goes to Japan
We got Amanda on the plane Wednesday. For some reason it was really hard for me to let her go that day. I don't know if it is because I had just sent some family to Europe and worried a little while they were gone and the mental business of willing them to be safe was slightly exhausting... or just that I have less to do these days and less family members to take care of.. so it is just hard.
It could be that having one daughter so inaccessible on her mission, makes me over protective of the others. Who knows? It is almost impossible to protect ones offspring from life. I know this. I know this every time they leave the house. It doesn't take much for them to have an accident. They drive, they do things. They don't live a sheltered life. And I wouldn't want them to not experience adventure.
Anyhow, preparing for her trip was a big deal! I love that she is organized and capable but at the same time she wants me to be there and participating in the packing process. We loaded a HUGE suitcase with her goods. We had carefully selected gifts for her host family. We put in little gifts for people she might meet at club meetings. I helped her make tiny book marks with american postage stamps and a decorative tassel thing. We ordered her some "business cards".... we packed her with American candy and some Lays potato chips for her host family (their favorite). We also included ingredients for her to make no bake cookies to share with the family and copies of some songs she will sing for them. She brought her camera and clothes ... All of this weighed exactly 50 pounds!!!! I ordered her Yen from the bank and also gave her american cash. This was in her wallet in her purse. I kept reminding her to keep an eye on it at all times.
We drove over to Redmond early and stopped along the way to eat and pick up some last minute stuff. She confessed to me that she hoped the family would like her. (tender heart moment). Arriving at the airport, 3 other girls from our town were there and another boy from the central part of the state. They all had matching 4-H t-shirts and name tags. We checked them in and then they had to leave every familiar face and together brave security and the boarding process as a little group of unaccompanied minors. Amanda has never flown before so I hugged her and watched her the whole way through the security line until I couldn't see her anymore, yelling at her "Don't lose your passport!!!!"
Then I walked out to the car, alone and drove home. I immediately called my oldest daughter. I apologized to her for not being as involved in her trip to Japan 10 years ago. I don't remember helping her much with her cultural project or her packing. I only remember that there was a big fire that year in town and I had to drive way around the state to get to the airport . I had several of the younger kids with me because Kris was out of town. We drove in the old truck with no air conditioner and it was 100 degrees. She was so independent and capable. She had a great trip but it was no thanks to me! Really the only thing I did was drive her to the airport.
But back to the present.
After dropping her off there was still a lot of time until she actually arrived in Japan. The kids would initially fly to Seattle for an orientation type send off meeting.. then take the long flight. Some of the kids had to fly from Tokyo to other places or take trains etc.
I kept busy working and visiting with Shelby and Brooke... And intermittently checking Japan Time Now on my phone.
Thankfully... last night late.. I got a notification on my phone that facebook was showing me photos of Amanda arriving successfully into Hiroshima !!! Love that her host mom was so kind to ease my mind by posting those photos. Now I can breathe a sigh of relief!
She looks tired but happy.
Her adventure begins.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke
No comments:
Post a Comment