Saturday, April 4, 2020

April

I'm not going to lie. I've been Debbie Downer this week. I have managed to work the last 2 weeks more than full time which is a huge blessing. But other than working, I haven't been doing a whole lot. OK I have read some books and managed to watch a lot of TV but other than that I sleep or stay depressed. The pandemic has my mind going in lots of circles, calculating risks, imagining scenarios and being sad. Mostly, I have lost my coping mechanisms which keep me functional... which are... lunching out with my bestie and connecting with people. I'm sure everyone is in the same boat. So I haven't really been proud of how mopey I've been. I like to think that in a crisis I can be Mrs. Inspirational, but mostly I am Mrs. Dark Humor and Mrs. Doomsday at work where I have been known to calculate my score for rating a ventilator and telling the young nurses how I may not be alive during the summer. Sometimes it entertains them and sometimes not. I did manage to create a nurse of the month poster for a committee that I am on. It was very positive, so there is that.

Amanda is really rising to the occasion and she is cranking out puzzles, artwork, homework, meals, walks, and in general entertaining herself without a lot of drama. She of course, has a little experience with living with challenges and I am proud of her for her courage.

My other kids are so sweet to send regular updates of their lives through the magic of our app Marco Polo. This allows me to see my precious grandbabies who I miss desperately. Also they call me when I have been in hiding for a bit. Hailey and I even started up Piano lessons again. She has promised to behave and not tear up her piano books like she did when she was 9.

I am so grateful to have such wonderful children. Thankfully they are all ok physically and financially for awhile and that is a blessing.

I did play the piano for 2 hours the other day. I may actually learn the Chopin piece that I have always wanted to learn the Fantaisie Impromptu that my teacher said had the I'm always chasing rainbows theme in it. I can actually play most of it... although not impressively and the 3 against 2 gets me when I think too hard.

When I get home from a work shift I do what most nurses across the country are doing... I strip in the garage. Then I run into the house to get in the shower. I shower head to toe then change into fresh clothes. My work clothes are all washed in sanitize mode. I lysol my shoes and leave them in the garage. I have never followed this as stringently as I am these days. Most male nurses have shaved their beards to get better mask fits and a good friend cut her hair really short... Which is tempting. Where we live we generally get things later than the rest of the country so maybe it won't hit us until May or June and then I will have a lot of practice at being this way.

Today we listened to General Conference as a family. There will be another world wide fast on Good Friday April 10th. It made me feel good to hear that we will do this again and petition the Lord, the Master Healer to help the world.




No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke