I was able to travel to Portland to see my folks last week.
They live in a house that they have lived in for almost 18 years. It doesn't really seem like my home because I don't have any childhood memories there.. but I do enjoy visiting and being with them. And they have many possessions still from when I was young that make me smile.
Mom and Dad are fairly organized and they have routine and structure... even in their retirement. They are both still so active and physically healthy.
In my job I am quite used to seeing people 75-80 years old that are crippled, or struggle with various diseases and limitations. My parents are probably in some ways healthier than I am. They eat well and walk and hike and although they have aches and pains and some of the struggles of getting older.. I am grateful that they are so lucky in their health.
While I was with them I tried to cook a few things for them to give them a break. Unfortunately their oven element went out so the first night's casserole went well but the last meal I made was kind of a wreck.
We visited and played duets and watched Season 4 of Downton Abbey. Whenever I have stayed a bit with them I have been introduced to a new to me British show. I have them to thank for my love of Father Brown and Dr. Blake. Since arriving home I have conquered season 1 and am halfway through season 2.
We went and saw a movie "Man Called Otto" and I also went to church with them which was fun because I got to hear mom play the organ in her ward.
I got home in time for another week to start back to work and all the things.
Kris is coaching his team and spends a good amount of time watching game film and analyzing strategy. I think he is getting a bit worn down by it all.. but I am really proud of his efforts.
I am so happy I got to go visit my parents! Goal number one for this year done!
No comments:
Post a Comment