Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How did I forget that?



While traveling, I missed things. Like my bed.. It's really comfy... I missed the comfort of home.. but not really. I was having a really good time and doing new things. New is good and relaxing. What I didn't miss is the harriedness of life. All of the many things that go into getting people ready for school and just through each day.

Somehow... School starts in 2 weeks and I'm not ready.. Sports camps/daily doubles are almost upon us and I forgot to schedule 3 physicals in... HOW DID I SPACE THAT... There are orthodontist appointments and dental appointments and girls have babysitting jobs... Bills to pay..Back to school fees.. (could I set up the school district with automatic deductions to my checking account?)

When I was gone I read a book called How to Stop Worrying and Start Living Life.. I wish that I could say I have incorporated all of the techniques suggested in this wonderful book.. but here are 2 that I liked...

First.. If you worry alot. Pick a worry and then imagine the worst possible thing that could happen for that particular worry... The very worst.. Then think of what you would really do.. make a plan for that worst case scenario. It really works! I always worry that I won't have hours at the hospital. Since I am casual I rely on being called in extra or needed to help. In 12 years I've always had more work than I needed. Not so much now.. the economy is hitting nurses too. So I took it to the extreme.. What would I do? I guess I could wait til the next available position came open and apply.. I have more seniority than almost anyone.. I would get it. Or... I could dust off my piano teaching skills. Or I could even travel to another hospital and take an assignment out of town occasionally. Or just make sure my cell phone is always charged and I make it known that I'm willing to work anything. The point is.. there are options. The thing is.. Most of the things we worry about NEVER happen.

The second thing the book talked about is not expecting gratitude. Sometimes we do things wanting to be appreciated and thanked. So when we are not thanked we feel sullen, resentful and angry. The author pointed out that most of the time people forget to thank. It's human nature. Think 10 lepers... When we do things and do them for the sheer joy of doing and not expect gratitude .. we get more out of the experience. We do it for ourselves and the happiness it can give us.

Well enough of that... I still have that lingering feeling that there is something very important that I'm forgetting...

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke