Thursday, December 2, 2010

Adventures in Parenting


Every day of parenting is a new adventure. What starts out as a fairly average day quickly turns into something unique and new. Yesterday was a prime example.
It was the volleyball awards dinner. I was really excited to go. I picked up a nice package of cookies to put on a plate and ran errands in the early afternoon. Showing up at the designated meeting place I found a daughter covered in hives. This happens from time to time and so I do know the exact combination of drugs to quiet down the histamine storm. This would involve 50mg of Benadryl and 40mg of Pepcid. (for $15 instead of a $400 emergency room bill .. yeah for me!!!). So we missed the awards dinner.. which I think I was a little more sad about than anyone... because I wanted to watch my senior be honored. Oh well.
Then it was another episode of homework excitement!!!! I'd like to thank all of my children's teachers for so many opportunities to get creative while getting frustrated. Brooke needed to create a shelter model. So we built a teepee with wooden skewers and fruit leather. I liked it when she dressed the polly pocket man in fruit leather to simulate a buffalo robe. The shelter model almost made it to school intact.. but today when I got everyone to school late (it was a snow delay and I was navigating icy slush) the tepee collapsed on itself and someone was a little bit hysterical...(and it wasn't me) I wanted to laugh as I was delicately handling the fruit leather and re attaching the wooden skewers into the cardboard...
In other medical news. Amanda needs glasses!!! We sort of think it's a conspiracy on her part. Because her friend got a pair of pink high school musical glasses that she was coveting. BUT she did fail the school eye exam and so we took her in and sure enough she is very very far sighted. Every day she asks me how many days until her glasses get here...They should be here in about 7 days. She is also looking forward to her tonsillectomy in a few weeks.
Stef has finished applying to all the BYU schools ... She has done a great job of navigating the process with minimal assistance. It was a little frustrating at times but now we are just anxiously awaiting the answers and are now applying for any and all scholarships that are offered. She is the queen of the essay now.
Shelby is playing basketball on JV and some Varsity with Stef. She will be 16 in two weeks. Some fun things are in the planning (SHHHHH!!!!)
Hailey is the most social thing I have ever seen. Good thing that she has a cell phone now. I can keep her in line now because she doesn't want to be grounded from it. She is totally into all things junior high including the dances and the drama. She also is starting 8th grade basketball activities. Kris is hosting a preseason tournament next weekend and she is excited for that.
What will happen today? I'm sure it will be as exciting and unpredictable as usual..

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke