As in....
All of my kids know how to use my debit card. They all know the number and the older ones know that how to shop with it and get change. Many times I send them in the store. Sometimes I am too tired to get out of the car.. So I just sit there.
My kids all know how to make a lunch and also how to cook basic stuff and make snacks. Hailey mentioned that most of the parents she knows pack their kids lunch. Guess what. It didn't even make me feel guilty. I think it's okay my kids have these skills.
They all (except Amanda) understand the basics of laundry. Almost. I'm still trying to get them to check dad's pants for pens.
I taught most of them how to remember things by me forgetting .. (except Stefani... I still was remembering to do things for her then).. Not now. If they forget socks or to wash a uniform.. mostly they are out of luck. This is called NATURAL CONSEQUENCES. It works really fast. As soon as you learn that mom doesn't always rescue you.. you know where your ballet shoes are. You check the dirty clothes for your uniform.
It's awesome actually....
Helicopter Parenting is exhausting and can only be done if you are close to perfect and you have lots of time.
The way I parent is a function of desperation, exhaustion and experience. I learned that the things you think matter.. really don't . Do the important things. Not the busy work.
There are some really important things to teach your kids... Like how to be respectful to adults.
My kids do know how to talk with adults. And it is appreciated. Adults in our community have reciprocated polite communication by assisting my kids with jobs, scholarship applications, and good advice! If an adult asks your kids questions.. don't answer for them. Let them form answers and have conversations with others. Teach them to be polite and kind. You'd be amazed at the teenagers I have tried to have conversations with. I always take note of those that are able to do this without eye rolling or disdain.
Shelby interned at Kris's office her last semester in high school. I still have adults I don't really know well ask me about her. They remember the time she took to visit with them and they remember all the plans she shared with them! I love that she took the time to interact with people.
Encourage your kids to speak on the phone regularly with relatives and to be gracious.
It's not that hard.
And it's important.

No comments:
Post a Comment