Friday, April 11, 2014

I like my routine.....




I just got back from the big, big city. Thrown into the whirlwind of a big OR with lots of people I didn't know.. I did what I usually do...

Get lost
Talk too much
Overcompensate slightly

There was no pressure on me because I was purely there to observe. I did occasionally push a bed into a room or hand someone a pillow or turn out lights. I got asked a lot if I was a nursing student.. Or what I do in my town/hospital. They would look at me like "sure lady" when I'd explain all the areas I work in my hospital.

I guess I look super young in scrubs with a hat on. This is good, in a way. Although scrubs are super figure forgiving and those hats.. Don't get me started on those.

The hospital I worked at has two huge OR suites and I could find my way to the locker room and lounge room. Then I would ask for directions to the room I was in for the day. They would ask me if I wanted a 15 minute break in the morning. I'd always say no because I didn't want to get lost on the way back. I would take lunch and eat alone and read. Then I'd wander around until I found someone to get me back to my assigned room.


I saw a lot. Every night I'd return to the hotel room and watch cable TV. I would read. Some nights I'd go shopping. One night I cut out some quilt blocks. One night I watched Captain America. It's more exhausting than you think to stand and observe stuff for 36 hours! I don't sleep well without Kris snoring next to me (surprise).

I drove back to my little obscure town and breathed a sigh of relief. I don't have all the high tech options here. But I feel like it's such a wonderful little peace of heaven.

I missed my kiddos, my dog and my husband.

I missed my routine.


No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke