Saturday, August 27, 2016
Hailey Mae Leaves for the Mish
Just like that, in the blink of an eye, she was gone. She hugged us and then turned and walked through security and into this new phase of her life.
Hailey Mae spent the summer exuberantly interacting with people in her waitress job. She loves to talk to people and this job gave her the opportunity every night. She also made a pretty sweet haul in tips. Hailey really hadn't planned on going on a mission, but after returning home from her first year of college, she prayed about it and then decided to go. In just four months, she buckled down and managed to earn most of the money.
Hailey didn't do any laundry this summer. She paid me $20 last month to do it. So I pretty much did it all. She also didn't clean her room. I have faith that she will be cleaner on the mission. Hopefully.
We had Hailey's farewell 2 weeks ago and lots of family came. We had spent the weekend in Boise for Kris's 30th High School Reunion and a temple trip. While Kris was reminiscing with other old men that used to be cool, I was chilling at the water park with Amanda and her exchange student. Saturday we hit Costco and then buzzed home to try to get ready.
Mostly we just visited and then dad and I managed to cut a big pork roast and divide it between 2 crock pots. We added some ginger ale and let it marinate. Hailey's cowboy friend Taylor showed up with his new dog Stone. So we had a house full of well wishers and animals.
Sunday morning we ventured off to church and Hailey gave a nice talk and mom and I did a piano organ duet. Then Kris and I both had Primary duties. I led singing time and he did a super funny sharing time on modesty complete with a paper doll display. My parents, Shelby and Hailey all came and laughed at us. Back at home we fed everyone pulled pork sandwhiches, salads and Jana's yummy baked goods. A family who loves Hailey from Bend also came over and I have to say the house was truly disaster status. But, what can you do. It was fine.
Hailey's last week at home was pretty relaxed. She worked, she packed and she said goodbye to people.
All of us headed over to Bend Tuesday after Kris and I worked from 5am til around 2pm. Hailey was set apart and then we all went out to dinner at Johnny Carino's. We took pictures and then went to a friends house and slept. We woke up early ready to say a big family good bye at the airport, only to find out we missed her flight. That deflated the mood pretty quickly and Kris and Shelby had to leave with a brief hug. We booked the next flight, called the MTC to say she'd be late and that was that. Hailey, Amanda, Brooke and I drove back to the friends house and I took a big nap.
Take two of the airport drop happened a few hours later when we were more awake and rehearsed at the goodbyes. Her suitcase weighed exactly 50 pounds. She hugged us and smiled and confidently left. Ready to take on the world.
A few hours later I got a call from a random cell phone. "Mom I made it to Salt Lake.. can you tell grandma I'm waiting outside". And that was that.
I 've already had a nice email from her and sent her 2 emails, a letter and a small package.
Shelby left this morning. She crammed a bunch of stuff into a friends Honda. Hopefully they make it.
And so we are back to 4 of us.
It's cleaner and more lonely.
And that's the way it goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke
No comments:
Post a Comment