My coworker had a tree fall into her home during last weekends storm so I spent the week working for her instead of getting ready for company. I thought a lot about cooking for company during the week but instead of actually doing anything I just practiced dreading it. Then Thursday night I made about 75 cookies and some macaroni salad. I also attempted to clean the house. I do a lot of cleaning in all actuality, but I cannot transform my home into a showpiece in the course of an evening. So I just tried to catch up on the laundry and make everything look sort of ok. I think my issue is that at heart I am a person who likes to make do with old, well loved possessions. Because of this, everything always looks slightly shabby. Last night as I was watching Fixer Upper, I almost cried when they were demolitioning a perfectly good kitchen. I mean it was practically almost brand new! But because it didn't meet the latest style criteria they gutted it! But I digress.
My company arrived happily late Thursday night. We had Shelby, her boyfriend Trent, and Hailey stay with us and the grandparents all settled into hotels. We enjoyed our Friday together getting to know Trent, eating and playing basketball. Friday at 6pm we were all in the high school gym watching Brooke walk down the aisle in her gold gown. She has a beautiful smile, and one perfect dimple. Sometimes the smile isn't very evident... But Friday it was on full display. She has worked so hard this year, overcoming some very hard challenges and finishing strong. Stefani snuck into the gym and sat by us too! Anyway, Brooke graduated and we celebrated! Afterwards we all went to the pizza restaurant and ate salad and pizza and visited. Brooke hit the all night party (which I didn't do a thing to help with) and we all collapsed.
Saturday was Baby Shower Day. I went to the venue early to set up. I panicked when I walked in and a graduation party was all set up. I burst into tears and called for back up. The room was actually partitioned off and we still had a half of a room and kitchen for our use. 3 hours later and some heavy lifting, decorating and food prep and we had ourselves a shower. Stef's in laws made a 14 hour trek from Colorado to join us and she was literally showered with presents. Both her grandma's were there also. It was a fun time!
Meanwhile back at the ranch, the men folk were shooting guns. Kris and Grandpa Jim organized a gun extravaganza and shot at targets and ground squirrels. They were able to involve all the visiting guys and I think had a blast. (We didn't want them at the baby shower anyway).
We attended our dear friends son's baptism and then Saturday evening we went to a dinner outside at another friends home celebrating Brooke and their son's graduation. They have a really nice yard and the weather was great. We had the event catered by our favorite Mennonite. Lots of friends and family joined us and we got a family picture.
That night we had a fire out by the basketball court and visited some more.
Sunday we all attended church together and took more pictures and most of the company left. That afternoon Shelby, Hailey and Trent were in a very serious car accident on their way home. They totaled the vehicle but were mostly unharmed. The guardian angels were working overtime and we are so grateful.
This Wednesday Amanda graduated from 8th grade. Although we didn't have all the extended family to celebrate, she had her hair done and wore a special dress. Then she danced the night away with her friends at another party.
Brooke has amazed me with her goal setting and tackling of projects that are new to her and to our family. Examples of this would be FFA and raising lambs. Her latest endeavor is life guarding . She decided she wanted to work at the pool. She has driven out of town to practice her swimming 3 or 4 times now and this weekend she is taking all the training and testing. She had to swim several laps in the pool (6 down and back). Rescue a 10 pound brick in a timed test and also pass a CPR test. She has successfully completed 2 of the 3 days so far.
I am feeling very tired. I stayed home this weekend from everything. I said no to all the calls I got from work to come and help.. I watched TV . I read. I slept. I blogged.
Life is Good. Hard.. but Good.
No comments:
Post a Comment