Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Happy New Year

It is 2019!
Wow.
As per my usual I have made no New Year's Resolutions. I did go to yoga today. That is good I guess.

The other day, my husband asked me where I see myself in 10 years. I had to really think. I have never really imagined living into my 50's and beyond. What will I do? Where will I be? I guess I would like to be relatively healthy and happy and enjoying my kids. But I guess I have some big thinking to do.

Last week was my parents 50th anniversary. My brothers (the little ones) are pretty sweet guys and they did most of the planning for the celebration. I just drove up and brought some fun t-shirts I had ordered. We surprised the folks at the Olive Garden. They thought they were meeting Dave for a scavenger hunt... but when they arrived we were all there!

We did lots of visiting and took some walks. We ate out the next night at a fun restaurant on the river. We also played with David's cute kids.

It is always entertaining to get us all together. I am impressed that my bro's are all such nice people. They are generous and talented and good fathers. I'm kind of proud of them.

And my parents have been married 50 years. That is quite the accomplishment.

I drove home with Brooke (she was my travel buddy). We hit Mount Hood at about the same time as the rest of the world did. Also a huge percentage of people who cannot drive in the snow. This made the voyage a little harrowing. I had a headache but I was also thinking... What the heck? I can drive in this people! If I can drive in this.. You can too! Don't be dumb! As they were careening off into snow banks and struggling to put chains on and just looking foolish. Maybe I am being too smug. But really.

I also finished up the Book of Mormon as per the prophet's challenge. I did it like I do most things. At the very last minute. I read 1st Nephi and 2nd Nephi in November... and then last week I got into Mosiah one night at work. Then by the 31st I was solidly in the middle of Alma. So yesterday morning I read Alma 32 to the end. I played it on audio while I drove and then in between I read. I don't think the challenge was meant to be completed in a few days.. but I still felt good about getting it done. We all do things differently and I do things last minute. Its ok because that's just how I do them.

I have also been doing some research on some of the things we battle day to day. And the statistics on it are particularly sobering. Like down right depressing. And I'm having a hard time with that. Maybe it's because I like to know the ending of things. I want to read the last chapter of the book I'm reading to make sure it ends well. I will google a movie or TV series I'm watching to see how it ends. I am a sucker for happy endings. And at the end of the day, I want to know that everything is going to be all right. I want the ending for my family and particularly my children's challenges to be positive. I want them to conquer. I don't mean that they will never fail or have disappointments... I know that they will... but I want them to have fairly good odds. Ha ha.

So I guess I'm going to have to ignore some of the research and keep thinking positive thoughts and keep fighting the fight.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke