Friday, February 8, 2019

Me being Philisophical



Hailey Mae is taking some Pre Nursing Courses. Some of them are quite challenging. Like Anatomy and Physiology. In Anatomy you have to learn all of the muscles, bones, arteries, veins, organs and such. Sometimes Hailey would call me and ask me what layer of epithelium lined some random part of your esophagus. I must admit that I could not tell her. I have not retained every detail of my anatomy class but I can take care of people and I know where most of their organs are. Physiology and Pathophysiology is understanding the function of the things in our bodies and especially what goes wrong in the disease state. It is really quite fascinating to understand the Krebs Cycle and how the sodium/calcium pump channel thingey work. I couldn't really really go into the details of everything with you onto a cellular level, but I do understand the basic physiological concepts of the human body. Sort of.

I think that this is stressing her out a bit... Because her instructor was telling them horror stories of things that can go wrong as nurses. Hailey was wondering if nursing would be to stressful ...

This was a hard question for me to answer because my personal theory is just that life itself is awfully stressful. (Refer to the wisdom of Jim Lyle rule #1 ...taught to you almost before you could walk..... LIFE ISN'T FAIR)

Then I started to describe how almost any job can be stressful...

Teaching.... lower pay, long hours

Hair dressing.... lots of time on your feet, listening to people's problems.

Insert job here..... think of the stress that will occur... because it will

The big pluses of nursing are...

1. The pay is pretty good for the hours. I can work 24 hours a week and almost make a full time wage.

2. There is a lot of variety. It gives you many opportunities to find your niche through your working life span. If Orthopedics isn't your thing... you could switch to home health... Or if you didn't like bedside nursing you could do more of an administrative position. Don't like your patient's awake? Practice in the Operating Room.


Anyway.. I think Hailey is liking the class better now.

This time of year is a little bit depressing. I think that I am not alone in finding it a real drag. I ordered a light box. It is supposed to simulate the sunlight that we get to enjoy at other happy times of the year. I am going to spend 30 minutes a day with it on in my peripheral vision and see if it makes me feel better.

I'll let you know.

Kris and Amanda have been gone a lot for basketball. They have practice every night. And many many games. It is almost winding to a close.

I have been doing lots of watching documentaries while they are gone. I have watched Great British Castles, Henry the VIIIth, The London Tower and Irish Castles.

Tonight Kris and I had a date while Amanda was at a birthday. For fun we ordered pizza and then I let him take a nap. Because these days... there is great luxury in a nap. A nap is the ultimate reward for a middle aged adult. Especially a hard working middle aged adult who coaches and wakes up at 5am every morning and goes to bed most nights at 11pm. So while I am blogging about my deep thoughts.. he is right next to me snoring.


That is all.


No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke