Saturday, September 30, 2023

Newborn

 I have just spent a wonderful week helping Shelby after the birth of her newest little one.  

I am so blessed.  Somehow I have been there for 4 out of the 5 births of my little grand people.  I can't believe how honored this makes me feel.  To witness such sacred events and have my daughters allow me this privilege is just beyond awesome.  

Shelby is a trooper and she handled the birth like a seasoned pro.  Jenny proceeded to go into big sister mode.  She had diapers lined out and ready to go.  I think she expected the kid to start pooping non stop.  We actual had to distract her when the poop did not happen.  Something about her baby alive dolls doesn't translate into the human experience... But she is ready to help !  She likes to hand you wipes and deliver bottles.  She is so fun.  

While I was there I visited their Walmart ALOT.  I am glad I don't have  a Walmart around the corner.  It is a big temptation.  I was happy to go and stock up on some supplies for them and give into a few temptations. (Krispy Kreme donuts in pumpkin flavors)   Snacks... Picachoo costume for Jenny... "just one more small toy"  for Jenny ... (play dough,  Minnie Mouse dress up doll)... socks,  make up I forgot, toothbrush.. (since I showed up with Kris's toothbrush)... diapers, wipes, formula,  bottles in various types (think colic prevention  type bottles)... thread for altering flower girl dresses... Dr Pepper... Taco fixings.   It was so easy to just pop in!

I also got to help hold the baby and try to introduce him to life on the outside... which is ... lets face it .. hard.   It involves sucking and coordinating sucking .  Crying... sleeping... and really hard things like learning to sleep during the night, instead of fuss.   I think I have blocked out hard parts of life during child rearing ... like the sleep deprivation parts.  

I tried to be helpful but honestly I am getting so old... I'm not sure how helpful I am!  But  I tried to remember the tricks that work when I have a fussy kid at work... and I implemented them but little man is a tough case.  I pulled out the dryer trick.. the swing... the swaddle... the singing the rocking... the burping... and most of it didn't work too well.  He mostly likes the sound of his mom's voice.

It made me reflect on the difficulties of modern parenthood.  In the age of so much advice and information... it can be so overwhelming.  Plus all the opportunities for comparison on social media and people that are so condescending and lecturing.  And the new "crunchy moms".  that are appalled if you have your baby in the hospital or don't breastfeed.. 

Oh the pressure!

Back in the day.. we just had to compare ourselves to our friends and not the entire internet.  Sometimes I miss that.

One of my favorite memories as a mom was wearing a black tee shirt to the doctors that had a big streak of snot across it.  I didn't do it on purpose.. but I realized after leaving that I had been there talking with the doctor while sporting the snot shirt.   That's pretty much how I rolled.

The other fun thing I did while visiting my grandkids was play hide and seek with my boys.  I babysat them for a few hours while their mom was getting her hair done and we had a rousing game of hide and seek.  Little kids are so genuinely delighted when you surprise them with a cool new hiding spot.  I had them all hunt for me and then would pop out of like the shower or a fun new place and they would just scream in surprise! 

So lots and lots of fun memories made this week.  



No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke