Sunday, October 4, 2009

A dangerous drive


This weekend was eventful. Kris took 3 of the girls to mom and dad's because he had a class. I was wanting to go.. but with Stef competing in a volleyball tournament and Hailey away friday for a jr. high tournament I felt like I had to stay home.

Friday after Hailey returned from her trip (won all of her games too!!) we met up at the Football game. The temperatures have dropped and the air was very crisp. We left after 3rd quarter and settled into a sleep BECAUSE... We had decided to drive a few hours away to support our JV player in her tournament. This decision is based on the fact that ... she's graduating next year and I'm suddenly getting sad that I won't get to watch her play sports, or do her teenage things. So they all become more important. The bad thing is our vehicles, while paid off are none too ultra reliable. Kris took the good car over the mountain so we were left with the truck or the 1990 Probe. As the truck has been stopping in random places (I'm betting on the alternater) we voted for the probe.

0445am we started out. I was pushing the old rattle trap at 58mph. The heater works very well, I am happy to report. Precisely half way there we hit a very snowy section. I mildly panicked because, I don't like driving in snow in a good car... but I wasn't raised in the 80's for nothing... and I certainly drove my share of rattletraps in iffy weather. Before anti lock brakes and power everything.. this type of manuevering requires a certain finesse as in DRIVE SLOW and PUMP YOUR BRAKES if needed. I placed a call to husband whose helpful words were "are you kidding you are driving the Probe? Turn around right now!!!". I didn't want to risk a turn around resulting in being upside down in the ditch for hours, so we soldiered on. Hailey kept asking if we were going to die... but that's Hailey. So anyway 5 miles later the weather cleared and we made it to the high school. Watching Stef's matches was fun for me... She is a phenomenal hitter from the back row. Her serves are sneaky with a little spin on them. The team made it into the semi finals and did well compared with the larger schools. Hailey and I snuck in a little shopping and then we visited Les Schwabs. I was going to outfit the car with some SUPER tires to guarantee that we as well as our teenage driver were safe forevermore... the Salesboy burst my bubble as studded tires aren't allowed til November 1st. I was getting tired and I couldn't think well... so I bought a pair of chains and left.

Poor Hailey by now was angling for a gourmet dinner, movie and additional big city fun... but I felt the persistant thought that I needed to get on the road NOW. It was 4pm and daylight was burning. The wonderful thing about listening to the spirit is that when you do it enough you recognize the times when it is the thing to do. She cried big crocodile tears and fell asleep in the seat next to me while I drove on. As I crossed the desert a huge cloud hovered to my left. It was dark and threatening and I felt like I was racing it for home. We arrived safely back home at 6pm. A miracle really!!! Stef and her new boyfriend watched a movie at our house. He is 6 foot 2.

Conference is today for our church. Now that we have the internet it was so great to tune in and listen.

Grandma helped Shelby find her homecoming dress. We are so thankful to her!!!

On the to do list this week.... Get everyone their flu shots.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke