
Grandma and Grandpa gave us bleacher seats for Christmas. They know that we spend alot of time in the gym. It is especially fun these days to watch our two high schoolers play a little together on the JV team. Here they are during warm ups. Such great girls.
So... I have been thinking. Last night we had another plumbing nightmare. It is a minor insignificant inconvenience (think world tragedy in Haiti). But between that and girls activities and sickness, bills, etc Kris commented last night..."you know.. this really takes two people." And he is so right.... And the things that we do within our family.. the hard stuff.. the listening, the helping, the meals, the transportation, the laughter and the tears.. they all matter so much. And they are worth doing together... even when it is sloppy, messy, heartbreaking and gut wrenching at times. I'm totally convinced that the Lord knew that we would need our families for the soul refining experiences that they would provide us. And we sometimes miss the point and the lesson that we can learn from the imperfectness of it all. We spend a lot of time doing service to others in our churches and among our friends and discount or resent the more important service that we do for our families/spouses. This is the most important work that we will ever do.
Now would be a good time for inspirational background music don't you think? But really.... Because we all have free agency and individual quirks... this is hard to appreciate and recognize. But as I look at my life.. I realize that every trial I have ever had .. I was given ... someone in my family (of origin/spouse or children)that could either help me through it or that I needed to learn to help them with the same thing. And I don't think this was any accident. I am especially grateful that I had challenges that only my spouse could help me with. Because, I could remember this when he had challenges that only I could choose to help with.
I am grateful for parents and in laws that are in it with me for the long haul. So often I think about the 18 years I have my children with me in my home... but really that stewardship extends forever. Somedays forever seems like a very long time!!! But it is worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment