Monday, June 20, 2011

fathers


Yesterday was Father's Day. It caught me completely by surprise. Literally. I had gotten Kris a present and then checked that off my mental list and got really busy with other things. It was Saturday night in Safeway while pushing the cart down an aisle that I realized I hadn't bought my usual set of Father's Day cards for everyone. Luckily I was able to track down my father in Montana. He and mom are traveling around for his 50th high school reunion. They were so fun to talk to. He had seen his childhood home and sounded happy. Kris tried to call his dad but only was able to leave a message.

The day was the new Sunday norm for us. Kris leaving early for meetings. Us rushing to church later than I want to... Kris staying after church late... The kids sang the usual Father's Day songs with a new one.. Teach me to Walk in the Light complete with a verse by the bishopbric. I got the giggles watching Kris sing with a serious face.

We got home and snacked then I went and had my usual nap, awaking just in time for FHE. Amanda gave an awesome lesson about Alma the Younger complete with pictures and explanations. Brooke had us write down talents we all have. It was a fun lesson and probably a precursor of life in a few years with only those two. Stefi was doing some older kid stuff and Hailey and Shelby are away at Volleyball camp.

It was a nice day... Kris got cookies from the kids and sunflower seeds and my awesome gift of shower gel (two kinds). I always think on Father's Day of how lucky I got to pick such a great father for my kids. And really how could I have known that he would be a good father? How do you test for that? When I was 19 and dating him.. I wasn't really looking for his fatherly-ness. I was checking out his butt, I mean nice smile. I did like the quiet calmness of his personality.. but did I know that it would translate into a gentle way with his posterity? No I did not.

How many times have I thanked my lucky stars that I don't have to ask him to spend time with his girls. That he plays with them and coaches them and makes their live's complete? As I'm typing this... my littlest one just ran into the door after learning to shoot a lay up from her dad. Bouncing into the room. SO HAPPY.

I am grateful for my father, especially in these last few years. I appreciate the times he never gave up on me. The unending support and love and visits. The unconditional love. I'm glad that he "gets me"..

I thoroughly enjoyed father's day. I guess there is no pressure for me on that day.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke