Saturday, September 3, 2011
PART TIME
Well, I did it. I applied for a part time position where I work. Part time is 2 shifts a week. 8 shifts a month. Not really too much different than what I have been doing... but about 3 shifts more than what I've been averaging. And I don't have to hang out and wait for calls or be super available. I am on the regular schedule. YEAH. I guess since I have a college student and lots of kids in high school.. this move made sense.
Why did I become a nurse? Well... I like taking care of things, people and helping fix situations. I love science. I like the learning.. but nursing has always allowed a lot of flexibility ... And I always knew, without a doubt that I wanted a family. I would never have imagined I would have 5 gorgeous beautiful daughters. 20 years ago, when I first went to work part time... I had a young husband in school and was soon to be pregnant with my first child. It was hard juggling all those responsabilities and the huge pull to just be home and raise my daughter. But I really had no choice. We had to eat. So I worked and tried to sleep as little as possible, working nights so we didn't have to get day care.
Fast forward seven more years... working through graduate school... crying in Relief Society because no one else was working and I felt like the evil mother. Finally settling in our little small town and taking some time off to readjust and make some decisions about how I could keep my work a small part of my life.. while my ever growing family and their priorities took center stage. The perfect solution was to work casual. Just enough to stay in the game yet not infringe too much on my life.
So now.. I am going to go back to more work than I have done in a few years. But I am grateful for my job and for the way that it has made me a better person and I'm hoping I can keep the balancing act going and be BALANCED.
This weekend, Kris and I saw Captain America. It was Ok. But what is the deal with movies these days? I want to go to the movies and see HAPPY ENDINGS people. I don't care if Captain America saved the world. He crashed into the ice berg and then missed his date with Peggy. How is that romantic? And then gets frozen for 60 years... WHAT?
Kris took the kids out boating today. I was really going to go with them but there is an amazing amount of laundry to do and since the school has cut the budget and the kids stayed in a gross motel on their volleyball tournament trip... I have to wash everything and make sure we don't have any bed bugs enter the inner sanctum.
As far as Sunday.. I subbed for Primary and knocked some heads together when the back row was exceedingly unreverent. I felt like the enforcer. Making paper airplanes in the back row is uncool .. I don't care if you are 8 and adorable. Kids these days.
In other news.... For super Saturday in October... I have been asked to give a LAUNDRY inservice. Wow. Doesn't that just say it all. Stay tuned for the details on that.
Oh and ... All news coming out of Provo is very positive. Someone really likes college.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke
1 comment:
Hopefully I will go into labor here in a couple weeks when we are in Burns and you can be my nurse!
Post a Comment