I've been laying in bed for the last 30 minutes. Kris is snoring gently beside me. I could write a really long post on my years of trying to sleep next to a wonderfully cuddly man who snores like a bear. Maybe that's why night shift was so appealing. Amazingly enough, it's hard for me to sleep when he is gone. I've grown used to his noise. But tonight I'm having a hard time going to sleep.
I've taken 50mg of Benadryl and am going to write something here on the blog until I start to feel a little sleepy. I need to sleep because I need to get up early in the morning and work.
Why won't my body cooperate with me?
So my thoughts tonight while laying in bed, centered around how when something is a priority in our lives, eventually it will happen.
So much of life is doing little things every day that end up being big things.
Like... helping a child with homework day in and day out until eventually they call you from college where they are excited about their classes. Or practicing the piano for 40 years and eventually playing Handel's Messiah for the choir...Storing a little bit of food a week until you have a years supply.. or paying a little extra a month until you have those debts paid down.
Little things are important. But it's hard to sometimes see how the little things end up in the grand final product... Especially when the little things are tedious and annoying at times.
I struggle with the wanting the final product of the day to day efforts NOW. I know that Heavenly Father knows that some of the little things will take an eternity to compound into the big things. But He can see the beginning and the ending and everything in between. We only get to see the now sometimes. We get a lot of tunnel vision.
Wasn't that profound?
..................................................................................
Homecoming dresses all arrived via mail and I'm happy to report are magnificently unique and stylish. Shelby's dress has SLEEVES and is accented by some very high, pointy lace up black shoes. Hailey's dress is gold and is a very modest length, which doesn't rectify the strapless situation but I'm sure we'll rig up some shrug/strap solution for that issue... It's not like I'm not a pro at de-slutifying dresses. She has some strappy gold wedge sandal things to wear with it.
I was planning to be out of town for a wedding this weekend, but circumstances conspired against that and probably for the best.. I am glad to hunker down with the fam this weekend and just try for some quality time since I've become a little bit of a workaholic. Hopefully some of that quality time will include photographing the Homecoming dates and preparation and participating in a little bit of the event without being overinvolved or embarrassing. Such a struggle. Maybe by the time Amanda is in High School I will have figured out how to do that.
Brooke is pretty much in love with Justin Beiber after his concert. I heard Kris telling her tonight that she had no chance with him. (Way to burst the bubble). And that he was probably one of the most eligible sought after bachelors in the teen universe (not his exact words). I was trying not to chuckle at the time. She is totally ga ga over JB.. What would pre teen life be like without a celebrity to ooh and aah after? I mean, come on Kris. I totally had a crush on Parker Stevenson back in the day.
As it is now almost midnight.. I will try to wrap this up before I turn into a pumpkin. (dumb Cinderella reference)
The other highlight of my day today was a phone call from my brother. No one can make me laugh quite like my brother. It's so nice to think of him as one of my best adult friends. My life is so much richer from my association with him. I am his number one fan.
Well this was all over the place. But maybe now that I have expunged these thoughts from my brain out into the universe I can lay back down next to Darth Vader and drift slowly into a pleasant slumber.
No comments:
Post a Comment