Yes. It is snowing here. Not drifts of snow.. but enough sprinkling that I officially put away the flip flops. Sadness.
I like snow. Just not for months and months and not in October. Snow is for January. Maybe a little teaser in December, to keep the kids happy. But mostly snow is for January, because lets face it.... January is boring. October is all fallish and festive, November is the start of Thanksgiving and the season for eating everything and December is beyond exhausting with Holiday cheer. You make a few resolutions January 1st and before you know it MLK day hits and life is a little boring. That's when snow kindof fits your mood. You sit around drinking hot chocolate plotting your tax return shopping.. or start gathering your tax documents. It's kindof a snoozer month.
Today was another to do list day. Disclaimer: I find that as a 40 year old I accomplish more to do 's than say my 30 year old self. My 30 year old self had to do words for the day.. Like "get the mail" and be excited or "get the kids all dressed". It's really hard to get a lot done with a house full of toddler people. Now that everyone toilets themselves and such... I can do lots of stuff. Does that mean my life is more meaningful? Now that's a long post for another time. Just because you stuff your life with stuff... doesn't mean the stuff is really important.
Wow. I know. That is probably a quote from confuscious or something.
But... I did accomplish some importantish things that were itching to be done.. Like
order address labels and wash uniforms.... Copy music for concert..really important things.
I'm becoming a to do list junkie. I like making the lists and crossing them off. Sometimes I keep the lists to see the actual things I have done. It's like a sickness.
When I was a dialysis nurse.. every day we would fill syringes full of saline. Lots and lots of syringes. Now everyone buys prefilled syringes but back in the day I sat in the back room and drew them all up. One day I was sitting back there with another nurse and she said, "Ever since I started doing this it has gotten to be an obsession with me to finish off these vials... It will be with you too." And she was right. I started to really get excited if I used up all the saline... And then it carried over to home. If I had a little milk left I'd drink the carton just to finish it. I'll eat the last of the cereal to finish a box or I'll read a little extra to finish the book to return. It all started with those saline syringes. They put me on a to do list path with finishing in mind!
I guess I'm a get er done kind of girl... sometimes with only finishing in mind. I just want it done regardless of the cost!
I'd contrast this with my friends that really enjoy the journey. They aren't so much occupied with the end result as they are with the process. I am not one of those people. Sometimes I'll really suffer through the process. But then, I will console myself with the result.
In addition to the snow this week.. there was some final volleyball matches and the wrap up of the fall sports seasons for middle school. I'm taking a very deep breath. Basketball season is starting. I'm not dreading it as much as anticipating a very very busy time. Senior year for Shelby... and everyone else playing or coaching. Quiet honestly, I 'm not sure how I will swing the next few months. I think it will be total and utter chaos.
So on Sunday I checked myself into a hotel.. alone. It was awesome. I got some really weird looks from the check in lady. Then I watched 3 hours of t.v. by myself. When I checked out in the morning I felt better. Refreshed and rejuvenated... and that was my cold, wet, snowy week.
In
No comments:
Post a Comment