Thursday, February 14, 2013

Deep Thoughts

Sometimes things in life profoundly disappoint us. Organizations that are supposed to work...don't. Ideals that something were founded on cease to exist. People are stupid. They make mistakes. The trick in all of this is to not get cynical. Truly. It's a trick. Because it is easier to give up on it all. To throw our hands in the air and say why even try?

Other words that come into play...disengage...check out...despair.. be inactive...lose faith

But there is a problem with that. Stick with me here. Some case studies...


Religion...church. Whatever you want to call it. I personally have a strong belief system and faith in a higher power. I belong to a wonderful religious organization that I believe God set in place. But... unfortunately.. God could not come down here to run it. So we have to rely on local people who for the most part are wonderful.. That being said... There are a lot of people who because they are human, do things that are not reflective of their beliefs. I believe the word for this is hypocrite. It is hard to watch people live in a way that isn't in line with the way that they profess to live. Or more irritatingly, judge others based on inaccurate information. But does this mean that I want to live without religion?.. No. It's kind of like throwing out the baby with the bath water. We take the good with the bad because ultimately it enriches our lives.


America... our country. The course we are heading on is frightening at times.. Our leaders seem out of touch with the common man.. we are deep in debt and government control is everywhere.. I am going to stop right there. Because if you are paying attention to any of it.. You've heard it all. But despite all of that. I am still proud to be an American. I love the freedoms I still enjoy and the great land I live in. I still cry at the national anthem. So although I shake my head a lot... I'll take my life in this country. Even with the craziness.


Family..... Is it ever perfect? No. I'm probably disappointed in the way that they don't match my ideal at least once a week. In fact, one of my kids said something to me last night that made me cry and I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. I am grateful that for the most part.. the good outweighs the bad. I'm glad that it's never too late to develop a relationship with a sibling. That forgiveness works. That my mother still loves me even if I am the worst at returning calls. I am glad that my husband wants to go on a date with me tonight.. even though we are both so tired we will fall asleep in the soup.


It is awfully easy to become discouraged. It is hard to keep going. But even when this life is sub par.. it is still the only life we have. And even though it is great fun to be cynical... When it counts... I won't be.

Okay.. That was enough on the deep thoughts.

In our news.... Basketball is over. Shelby played her last high school game. I ate horribly burnt popcorn while watching the worst game ever. Hailey and Shelby were in at one point together. That was sweet and will never happen again. Shelbs had a bad foul and some turnovers... but also made a bunch of three pointers and ultimately the team won. But it was ugly. So now we are in a post basketball funk. Coaches are still interested in her playing community college ball but no offer has materialized. We will all breathe a sigh of immense relief when it does....

Kris is still having a few games with his team. Amanda and I did her Valentines last night. She dressed in her Valentine's skirt today with her cute ponytails. On every Valentine she wrote YOU ROCK! She sang in the shower last night and as I laid there listening to the melody she was screaming.. I thought, "This kids is the best!"...

Hailey Mae is planning her next career move as the baseball statistician. This allows her to travel to important team events and really keep an eye on the boys that she is interested in. And she doesn't have to actually play a sport. She assures me that her allowance will cover the money for travel...... RIGHT......She survived a concussion last week.

Brookie finished her germ science fair project and it was entered in to the High School for further judging. She is almost done with her basketball team efforts and she also feeling better post concussion.

Stefani comes home to Burns for the summer in April.. which is only days away. She will be working in the hay fields driving a rake. Stefani seems to really be enjoying this semester... socially and academically.


Happy Valentine's Day!!!!



No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke