Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Psychology of Our Stuff




Yesterday Hailey's package of new clothes arrived. I watched her try on and put the new things away in her closet. We then purged her room of her old things. Things that didn't fit or she just didn't wear anymore. There were a lot of things! I bagged some up for the resale shop in town and then made a pile for yard sale-ing.

It's amazing to me how attached we can get to our stuff. I literally had to talk myself into ridding myself of some things. It's hard to part with a shirt that Stefani used to wear. Maybe because she doesn't live at home full time anymore. I want to keep her old things.

It's hard for me to get rid of things in my closet also that remind me of special times or my kids.

Some of our things can be so comforting. A good pair of comfy sweats. A picture we have looked at of family for years.

Some of our stuff feels oppressive after awhile. Stuff that just takes up space in our homes and in our lives.

It feels good to get rid of things. Really good. I have said before, I love to know my things are being used and loved by someone else. When you give something to someone and know they actually use it... it's a relief. Sometimes I give things to people and maybe I'm just burdening them with stuff they don't really need......

The hard thing about a yard sale is.. people are looking for a deal. They won't want to pay lots for a dress that I spent a lot on. This can be bad if you are seeking to get value out of your stuff. I have found that listing things online at a local site, or ebay gets you much more money for an item.. but there is a lot of work collecting funds and delivering merchandise. At a yard sale that is taken care of. Some of that convenience is worth the loss of the money you could potentially make.

So I have been cleaning stuff and organizing and making piles for sale. And obviously thinking too much about the significance of it.

The girls are so hilarious with their money they are earning. Hailey and Brooke really haven't had jobs before. They are calculating what they are making and spending it all in their heads. We think this is amusing. Hailey has some pretty big dreams to buy a laptop and school clothes.

I am having them purchase some of their school clothing with their earnings. They think this is unfair! Because I usually pick up the tab.

Practice with money helps as they get older and make decisions on their own.





No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke