Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Crazy Christmas


This year has been beyond weird. We have had snow, snow and more snow. It has been so dry for the last 3 or 4 years that I forget that I live in an area that actually is supposed to have snow. It is actually beautiful. The snow piles up in drifts that blanket the fields with a pretty layer of frostiness. When it is packed down it isn't too bad to drive in. When it gets slushy and melts or is covered with ice, then all bets are off. We sometimes have to make adjustments when it is snowy because Brooke doesn't quite have her sea legs driving in a Winter Wonderland. One of our cars drives ok, but likes to spontaneously pop flat tires.. and the old teal truck is the only one that is 4 wheel drive at all times. We have prayed and prayed and prayed for moisture to firm up the mountain snow pack and stave off another summer of drought and fires and I have to tell myself to not even think complaints. We NEED this snow! I googled snowpack Oregon and got pages and pages of graphs and whatnot. It was really confusing but basically said that while the snow is good it doesn't quite solve the bigger problem. (at least I think that's what it said).

Sunday was our Christmas Cantata. I was super overwhelmed and not feeling very great Saturday after working all day Friday. My yoga injury had my upper back in knots and I felt pretty sore. Saturday night I worked all night and did all sorts of really fun things. (like babies being born). Unfortunately, I aggravated my injury a bit. I stumbled home and crawled into the bathtub. Then I threw on my dress and drove to church. About that time, I felt as if a hot poker had been inserted into my scapula. So I grabbed a whole bag of crushed ice and walked up to the piano for practice. I knew I was being dramatic but the filter was gone and I was truly in pain and so I proceeded to lay down on the ice and start moaning. Our bishop is also a chiropractor. My husband wasn't anywhere to be found and he could see that I couldn't move and our choir needed an accompanist so he took me to his office and cracked the crap out of my back. He said I had a rib out and that I was in pretty bad shape. After that I put ice packs down my back and put my coat on. A nice lady volunteered to play the organ and I sat in the choir chairs and prayed I could get through the program. My kids all started texting me questions about my state of being when they could see I was not at the organ. I hobbled over to the piano and made it through the program. After I went home and slept and tried not to move.

Things have gotten slightly better in the last few days. I did see the Dr today who confirmed that I have a rib out, and that it isn't my neck again. Yipee and I know you are saying, WHO CARES LADY! QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT YOUR ACHES AND PAINS. But truly, I am grateful for muscle relaxants this Christmas.

In other Crazy events. The town is inundated right now with some crazy people from around the country here to protest some local ranchers that are unfairly being dealt with. They are trying to incite the townspeople to overthrow the powers that be. They picked a town where we all pretty much work for the government or rely on government programs and we don't even have a current working radio station. It could all end up on the news like and facebook is blowing up with the rumor mill. I'm a little scared actually. Hopefully it will peacefully blow over. What's embarrassing is that one of the leaders of the group is LDS and his last name rhymes with Undies.

We usually go to McCall around this time but in other crazy news the town of McCall was completely without electricity this week. I like a good old fashioned Christmas as much as the next person... but I do fancy light switches and heat. As well as gas stations and stores that can function.

That's our Holiday news here in Crazy Town.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke