To start out the week... The oldest college kids arrived with our special guest... Stefani's boyfriend Glen. They arrived via Stef's vehicle, which has about 3 recalls on it. This was some sort of miracle. We were very grateful for their safety.
I immediately began cooking. I guess having a new potential family member hanging around motivated me to make some meals. I made scones, and shepherd's pie, peach crisp and also pulled out freezer meals. I was amazed at how everything was turning out. I began to think that all was going to go off without a hitch until I googled how long I should be defrosting the turkey.
Because I bought a 25 pound bird, I should have had him resting lightly in the fridge for approximately 6 days. I feel like I always have this problem... but my excuse is that I only really cook for Thanksgiving maybe once every 3 years so I forget. Like how I used to forget what labor was like until I was back in labor? That is how I forget about Turkey specifics. I called Kris from work and told him to start working on defrosting the rock solid bird that was hanging out in my fridge. Kris put it in the sink for the night in a cold bath.. Then in the morning he did some type of turkey massage and ultimately pulled all the ice crystals out of the bird cavities. Mom and he managed to stuff it, truss it and dental floss tie it. By that time I had retired for a nap... beings as I had worked the entired night.
Grandma Alice and Grandpa Jim were special guests of ours and brought mom's amazing clover leaf rolls. They also brought a spectacular pie. By the end of Thursday we enjoyed a very nice meal. The turkey did turn out and the other dishes were also yummy. Everyone contributed to the success. I put girls in charge of side dishes and Glen actually took over the green bean casserole. My kitchen anxiety decreases significantly when I have helpers.
Friday we drove up into the mountains to get a Christmas tree. We went with several good friends and roasted hot dogs, drank hot cocoa and visited around a big bonfire. We set off to find a fresh tree and found a beauty. Kris successfully cut down the tree and also successfully cut Glen's jeans, leaving him with a small scar as a rememberance of our first meeting... and family activity. Luckily it didn't require stitches and just made for a really funny story. We have been razzing Kris about chainsawing the future son in law...
Saturday, Glen asked Stef to marry him. We all enjoyed admiring her beautiful ring and we toasted the couple with sparkling cider. We are going to have a new family member!!!!!
And that my friends is our big news!!!!
They plan to be married March 24th 2016. That gives us about 4 months to pull a wedding off. We are super excited.

No comments:
Post a Comment