Most of my Decembers as a wife, mother, employee and ward organist have had a similar theme. They include parties, performances and basketball games.
Here are some highlights of a few of those afore mentioned activities.
2015 Parties:
Our work hosted a big bash where we ate prime rib. I can still taste it. I like my prime rib with a lot of horseradish sauce. The meat was perfectly tender, a bit red in the middle and loaded with horseradish. When it went down my throat.. I had a very sinus clearing experience. Then my eyes would water and I would have to take a drink of water. Then I would do it all again. Kris and I enjoyed the work party but we didn't stay very long.
Our ward hosted a Cozy family Christmas party. My dear friend planned and executed a party that everyone will be talking about for years to come. There was tri-tip, specially cooked, salads, rolls, mashed potatoes and gravy. Then after, there were homemade cookies and a hot chocolate bar. Mary and Joseph made an appearance and then I played the piano and the whole ward sang Christmas Carols. The little ones visited Santa. It was a fun night.
2015 Performances:
The Choir that I accompany performed the first weekend in December. They sounded awesome. Amanda also played the violin for the orchestra. It was super funny because a pretty good friend called to say that she wanted to come hear Amanda. She asked when the orchestra usually started performing. Then she said, "I just really hate hearing the choir, I just want to come to the end." I paused and didn't say anything because really, what could I say. Ya... so I have been accompanying the choir for almost 15 years... but thanks, my feelings are not hurt. In the end I just laughed, because she obviously wasn't trying to be rude. Some people enjoy muscial performances, others not so much.
The ward choir is performing a big cantata next week. The young men are singing a song, the young women are singing, the primary is singing and then of course the choir is singing. I play for it all but have been running around trying to occasionally hit everyone to practice. Sunday last I played the young men's song with them. They have been running through it with their leaders and they just shocked my socks off with how awesome they sounded. There are about 25 of them. The Deacons are of course little boys and the Priests are little boys in big boy bodies. Their song is about the donkey carrying Mary. Their enthusiasm really made me smile.
2015 Basketball
Brooke is playing JV this year. She played JV last year but this year is getting a little more time. She plays point guard or wing. This is probably the most talented our school has been in about 5 years. There are lots of girls above 6 foot tall on Varsity. The freshman are also really talented. We are grateful Brooke is playing and having opportunities to learn and grow on a team.
Amanda is finishing up Park and Rec and will then play 6th grade ball. Park and Rec ball has been a bit challenging. They pair the 4th through 6th graders up. The little 4th grade girls can barely dribble and the 6th grade girls are leaps and bounds above them so it isn't very evenly matched. I guess they learn though. Amanda can dominate and she has to struggle with either playing as the superstar and winning or sharing the ball around and having turnovers and less success. She is pretty nice to the littler girls and pats them on the back and tries to get them opportunities. Kris has been reffing some of her games. We decided this probably isn't good, because he tends to call lots of fouls on her and make her cry. Sometimes it's better to be the Dad .... He is coaching 8th grade.
The kids all come home soon and we will enjoy one last holiday as the original 7 of us. I am starting to plan Stef's wedding which happens in just 3 months. It seemed so far away when we knew it was probably going to happen back in October. When it got all official I realized why some brides get the planning started a year in advance. Luckily the bride and groom to be seem more excited about getting married than in the every little detail about the wedding and this makes me happy!
It's always good to look at the big picture.
I'm officially burnt out. I need to find ways to enjoy my profession more. I used to love being a nurse and lately I find that I'm working too much and not finding the joy in it that I used to. I have spent a lot of time pondering why this is. Yesterday, I went home early from work after I'd reached my limit. It made me sad. I'm going to spend some extra time over the holidays thinking about how I can decrease my stress and regain my love for what I do. If I need to make changes I'm going to have to have courage. I want to always enjoy what I do.
Shelby turned 21 this last week. I baked her cookies and sent them in the mail. Once when I was in college, my mom baked me heart sugar cookies and sent them in the mail. The day I got them still ranks in my top 25 or so memories. I probably can still remember the taste, the smell and the love that I felt when they came.
Other things I'm doing......
Playing the Harp!!!!! I'm learning Oh Holy Night!!! It's oh so painful to listen to.. but Oh so fun to try!
Doing Yoga!!!!! I'm a little sore today from some of the poses we did.... but hey... If anything can get me through December its a little downward dog.

No comments:
Post a Comment