Monday, April 4, 2016
Wedding Highlights
We survived our first wedding in the fam! I feel like I am just now sort of getting caught up. Sort of.
The week before the wedding the little girls and our dear friends had a tissue pom pom making party. We you tube videoed how to make them and then we set about making about 30 of them which we hung in the living room. They were white and cream colored. Tuesday we showed up at our venue and everything was dusty, dirty and in disarray. We were renting a beautiful log cabin restaurant. It is awesome but is only being used now for events and hadn't been cleaned up recently. Hailey used to work there and knows the owner. I got a little hyperventalitory. Then I got behind the bar and started posing with wine bottles. But I didn't drink any.
Then Brooke went to the store to buy cleaning supplies and we got to work. We started arranging tables and chairs. We mopped and swept and dusted and cleaned and then my good friends Jana and Beth decorated up the place. We could only put the hanging stuff up and not do tables. So we left with as much done as we could.
Wednesday was a little crazy. Stef and Glen drove to Boise and on the way there got in car trouble. The transmission went out and they had to switch cars and then go on a merry chase around the state getting a marriage license. We drove to Boise that evening but prior to that I got all the flowers and packed them in coolers with ice. I also packed up all the bridesmaid dresses and earrings and makeup and stuff. I said Hello to my awesome cousin Leslie. I showed her my house and gave her a key to the venue. She agreed to help set up the table decorations while we were driving back from the temple. Then I headed for Boise. We had a final family dinner together at Red Robin. Then Hailey threw chicken at Brooke and things got a little ugly.
Back at the hotel, the grooms family was all arrived and the little girls made fast friends with Amanda. Glen's mom and I sat on the beds and talked about the impending marriage of our two oldest kids. Then everyone sort of went to bed.
Thursday the day dawned and we all woke up and tried to get ready in our hotel. I started ironing, and changing out the ice so the flowers would be fresh. Stef started doing her hair and make up. I traded bras with someone who needed a lighter color. So all day I wore a bra that wasn't mine. But Mother's of the Bride do these things.
The parents and soon to be wedded traveled together to the temple.
The sealing was very nice. It was perfect in fact. I remember almost everything the sealer said to them which I believe is somewhat of a gift to me... as in I remember nothing from the day I was actually married. A beautiful feeling of peace came over me. Really this part of the day was all that mattered and it was just right. I always love the feeling of love and family I have at the temple. As we hugged and thanked all those that came to support our kids, I felt so grateful for the family and friends I have who are basically family also.
After the wedding we changed and went out front. The kids got into their fancy clothes and then came out the side entrance and we all proceeded to do pictures. This took about an hour. I wasn't as organized as I should have been and so this wasn't smooth. I should have given my photographer a better list of what combinations of people to do and in what order. But I love our photographer and she does amazing work so I am excited to see what she is able to come up with. The big group picture she posted already is fun.
Then we went to the Outback and had a really nice lunch. Several extended family members and friends were there and Stef and Glen went from table to table visiting. Two of my brothers joined us and my niece and nephews. I am so glad that so many family members came. Many of our ward members who are like family joined us too. We are so blessed with friends!
As soon as I could I headed out to drive back home. I arrived to the venue and everything was set up. The flowers had arrived and everything looked nice. I really only decorated with flowers and lights. The reception was fun. We had plenty of food (taco bar) and the kids did a cake fight complete with plastic ponchos. The kids really enjoyed dancing and we only regret that there wasn't quite enough time to visit with everyone. My brother Jared and I danced together (he came all the way from the midwest)... and Glen's little brother had some moves that I have only seen in movies!
We were able to clean up quite a bit that night after the newlyweds left... and then we packed up and went home. Early the next morning we hosted a breakfast for family. Kris made french toast, sausage and there were fruit and muffins. It was good to visit more and see family. My Uncle Frank and his wife were there, and all of Kris's siblings and mom and my 2 brothers. Dan and Kristin's kids are so talented and they treated us to a vioin/piano concert. Stef has loved getting to know their family in college. They treated her to dinner Sunday nights so it was really nice that they traveled so far to see her married. Kris and his brothers and sisters have such a nice time together. They all like to laugh, and they all laugh about the same way. It was fun to have them together. Kris's brother Kerry has been such a good brother to him. He owns the wedding business and basically gave us a great deal on tuxes and Stef's dress. Stef and her cousin Kristina are very close. Grandma Shirley also looked very lovely.
The newlyweds showed up at about 10am just in time to open gifts. They headed off for their honeymoon. Then almost everyone left for home. We went and cleaned up some more. My parents stayed an extra day and helped us do a deep clean up at the lodge and also took the girls shooting.
We survived! But I think it will be just fine if we don't have a wedding for another year or two!!!
Here are some things I learned.
----Nothing really matters except the actually ceremony
----Take the number of people you invite and only get food for about 70% of the number you think will actually come
----Flowers are really the only decoration you need!
----Expect wedding day disasters. They are just going to happen.
And that's all I can think of. We are currently in Denver getting ready for the Open House. After this week, wedding 2016 will end.. and I can move onto other big things....
Like
Laying around the house... And enjoying Spring!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke


No comments:
Post a Comment