Sunday, June 11, 2017
Summer Basketball
School got out last Thursday. It was a bittersweet day. I think the girls were absolutely ecstatic to finish. I was a little melancholy though. I can't believe that Brooke only has one more year of high school and Amanda has one more year of junior high.
This weekend we traveled to our first summer basketball adventure. Kris is now coaching Junior Varsity so as a coach he had to transport players. I just transported myself and Amanda. We drove for about 5 hours up to the northern part of the state. There we sat in a high school gym and watched girls play ball.
Brooke is now a Senior and is playing Varsity. She has improved a lot over the years and is pretty fun to watch. She is great at defense and even managed to score some 3 pointers. She didn't get intimidated by some of the bigger players either. One team had a girl that was 6'4". Kris coached his players in a snazzy pair of new sweat pants. He looked very put together. He is learning the ropes of a higher level of coaching. I appreciate that he understands teenage girls. I think he knows how to motivate kids by being very positive. His team was almost all Freshman so they have a lot to learn, but showed good promise.
I made runs to the grocery store for fruit, water and other beverages. I also spent all the change I had at the snack bar. At one point I went to the car and broke out the jar of change which I deposited all over the counter. I think I used all the pennies available to purchase a poppyseed muffin. But Brooke needed to carb load between games.
We watched about 10 games over the 2 days. Kris and the players all stayed in the high school in various classrooms but I got a hotel room. I'm supportive to a point, but I'm not sleeping on a gym floor.
After the games wrapped yesterday we caravanned the several hours home.
The team will be going to camp in another week and then Brooke's summer basketball career will end forever.
Today after church the girls went and picked out their lambs. I believe their names are Sean and Frankie.. but that could change. I will be babysitting Sean and Frankie some while everyone goes out of town this summer.
You would never know it is summer by the weather outside. My hanging baskets have almost blown over in a windstorm twice, the weather was cold enough to turn on the heat and it has rained the last three days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke
No comments:
Post a Comment