Thursday, August 17, 2017

Recent Events



Amanda came home from Japan last week. She burst through the doors at the airport and talked nonstop for hours. She had such a nice experience. She was in Hiroshima and went to the Atomic Bomb Museum there. She attended a peace festival where they lit paper lanterns to float on the river. She learned Kendo. She went to school. She was at the beach several times and stepped on sea urchins which then had to be removed from her feet.

She loved her host family and the Japanese culture. We were happy to have her home safe.

On our way home from picking her up at the airport we purchased a new TV. We really aren't TV people. We have the same Television downstairs that we have had for a million years. It is so bad that the colors on it are essentially red and green. We have a netflix subscription but no cable. Kris and I decided recently that we would like to snuggle and watch BYU football in our room. Especially since we are approaching an empty nest. So we got a TV. It is now in our bedroom which used to be a quiet oasis and is now grand central station. I have had to make rules about not eating in my bed. I think the rules are obeyed sometimes. The fam is enjoying the new TV and snuggle time on our bed.

Now that we spent money on the TV ... it's looking like the washing machine and freezer are ready to go kaput.

Such is life.

Also last weekend I drove up to Portland and hitched a ride to Washington with my mom and my uncle. We attended the funeral services for my Uncle Bob. I got to see a whole bunch of my cousins that I never see and this was a neat experience for me. There is something very comforting about being around people that are related to you. All of my cousins are about my height and have similar builds. We have some of the same mannerisms. It is fascinating to ride with my mom and her brother and listen to little stories about their upbringing and early lives. To hear their perspective on moving, attending school, living with siblings, dealing with challenges and some of their wisdom about life was very cool. It was a very nice service for my uncle. I learned a lot of things about him that I didn't know.

I also got to see my brother and his cute little family. His little boys are so cute.

This week we are getting ready for school to start and also for the solar eclipse to hit Oregon. Lots of people are in the area and most of them can't drive. This means that I've almost been hit turning into my road from the highway multiple times. I don't understand why people think it's ok to pass in a no passing zone or not slow down just because it is a smaller highway. If anything, people should drive with more caution. Yesterday I laid on my horn for a full minute to educate another out of towner on his poor driving choices.

Kris is having his basketball team members sell snow cones in the park to unsuspecting eclipse visitors. Here's hoping they are hot and hungry and willing to part with their money.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke