The game was delayed slightly by thunder and lightening and a tiny rainstorm. After the game we drove to visit Stef, Glen and our cute little grandson. That was our weekend. Now for some deep thoughts.
Does anything in life really go as we plan? Do things sometimes exist so beautifully in our heads but then when translated into real life... look totally different and not as we wish?
These are rhetorical questions of course. As I plan yet another wedding, I find my lack of eye for detail and my attempts at fashion and decorating humbling and laughable. Good thing it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.
Take for instance the Mother of The Bride Dress. The elusive dress that makes you look... young yet not too young. Classy yet understated. Knocks off a few years and a flatters your aging figure. That dress. Does it exist? I am here to tell you that it may... but not for me. For some reason, I have developed a talent of picking dresses from the internet that are in one word, hideous. I have now ordered 3 and they are pretty much all duds. Last wedding I did essentially the same thing. I would order one, try it on, Kris and I would laugh and then I would package it up and send it back. The dress I wore, was ok.. although one day last week I realized that I was in the exact shade as the bridesmaids and that is so faux pas. Why didn't anyone say anything? So here I am again, shopping for the dress. I have mailed back one and the other one arrived the other day.. and it was a doozy. I tried it on for my best friend and we laughed a lot. It even looked more geriatric when I modeled it with the walker she is having to use due to an injury. I can't send it back because it was a special order from China... but it will be hanging in the closet for about 20 years until I can actually wear it.
I ordered all the bridesmaid dresses and I think a few of the sizes are actually wrong. I think I will be able to exchange them... but oh dear. Not how I envisioned it in my head.
I have envelopes addressed and lists created and I know that in the end it will be a beautiful day because it will be with people I love... Just nothing you would see on Pinterest.
I guess that is the social media curse. It makes us dream of unrealistic things that are unattainable.. and be unsatisfied with the awesome imperfect things that make our lives rich and complete.
Anyway.. planning and workings and such is the busy stuff that fills my life.. keeping my head spinning and my days full. It isn't just wedding stuff.. it's back to school, work, kid challenges, medical issues, bills, etc etc.
And it's been awhile since I had a really beautiful moment. But last week on the way to the swimming pool Amanda and I had a talk. I reminded her of who she is named after. Her great grandmother. I told her what a strong woman she was and that I know how strong she is. It was really a beautiful moment. And I remember thinking, I wish I had more of these moments... and how it changed the tone of the whole crappy day I was having.
Because really, what is life but lots and lots of boring interspersed with some really really beautiful moments.

No comments:
Post a Comment