Fall is upon us. Mostly we are teaching seminary. This has been nice in a lot of ways.
Mostly because ... we spend time reading and studying together and we also give the lessons together. We have the format split so that the kids hear from each of us separately and we alternate in our presentation. For instance, Kris will start the lesson and go for 10 minutes, I will then teach for 10minutes, Kris will go for 20 and then I will end with 15 minutes. We also try to add in videos and activities.
It is challenging for sure.
Often times the lesson will ask for discussion. I was getting really excited about some of the discussion points and thinking that they would stretch out for several minutes. WRONG. Teenagers in the early morning do not really discuss. They barely answer. The answers last seconds. The discussion falls pretty flat.
But I get that they are tired. And no one is rude. They are just... sleepy.
Also learning to use the technology has required a steep learning curve. Zoom is not hard, but if you don't arrive several minutes early, it can be a trick quickly setting it up. So far we are always there 25 minutes early.
Half of our students zoom in and the other half come live depending on the day. We have to remember to include the zoom students and we ask them all to read.
This week we talked about the Savior coming to America. It is like my favorite part of the Book of Mormon. We went the night before and set up a lot of beautiful pictures of the Savior on easels with white table cloths draped over them. We had our Christus statue on a table. I think it was a good lesson.
So that is taking up a lot of our time. In a good way. One benefit is I notice I am swearing a lot less. Win win!
There isn't alot else that is going on. Kris enjoys watching BYU football.
Amanda drives her car....
I work and enjoy talking with the older kids on the phone and doing Marco Polo with the fam.
The fall season is here and the election will happen soon.
Lets skip to Christmas and wrap this year up.
No comments:
Post a Comment