Thursday, October 14, 2021

october

 I love fall.. All things spookie and pumpkin.  Cold crisp air and soup.  It has already snowed a bit (although it didn't stick)... and we had our sprinklers blown out yesterday.  Here's hoping our pipes will be happy come spring.  I made 2 loaves of zucchini bread this season and may have had to throw out some zucchini.  ( I hate the guilt I feel with that)....

We have enjoyed seeing a preview of the grandkids costumes... Little Red Riding Hood..... and Mickey Mouse.  They are so dang cute!

Amanda is going to homecoming and has picked out her dress... nowadays we order 4 by mail and send back the 3 that don't make the cut.  

She is also busy doing her college application and essays.  I forget how much work goes into those.  She also spends every evening going over ACT practice questions.  That is coming up in a few weeks.

Brooke is in a leadership position at her college and does events for awareness.  She amazes me with her courage!  She is doing a lot of public speaking and interacting with her fellow students.  This would really be out of my comfort zone.  Brooke could do anything and I am happy when she realizes this.  I have learned that she will take on hard things and new challenges.  I think that is a great way to stretch and grow.

Kris was awarded the head coaching position for the girls basketball program at our high school.  He is very excited about it although has already had a call from a parent telling him that he doesn't have much support as the kids were hoping for a new direction.  While this was disappointing I have a lot of faith in him and I hope that he will win more fans as the season moves along.  This might be a rough year.  

He has so many good qualities that he has honed over the years...

-patience

-ability to tune things out

-optimism

-many years of raising teenagers

And he really is a fun guy.  Every night he is staying up until midnight watching coaching videos.  Over the years I have been in awe of the way he tackles his hobbies.  He really doesn't do them half way.  When we were doing triathlons... that is what we did... So now we are doing a coaching program.  

I guess I am ready for the ride.   It will be at least 4-5 years.  Probably a good thing since we will be empty nesters and he might get a little bored with just me.  I may be free to do more things as I will be a basketball widow.

Seminary continues.  I think that we are in a pretty good rhythm now.  Although... some days are rough.  Mainly, I enjoy being with Kris and also Amanda.  And I do love all the kids and their little quirks. 

Kris has spent 2020 and 2021 fishing with his son in laws and his brother.  I have enjoyed watching the younger guys develop their love of fishing.  I smile when my son in law posts pictures of flies he is tying.  I'm sure Grandpa Lynn would love this legacy of fishing being continued.

I continue to work.  Lately I have worked shifts where I earn double time plus 30 an hour.  That's how desperate the work place is for nursing.   It's really kind of sad.  I also have to orient someone new almost every time I work.  And they are usually temporary travelers.  I am working on being patient with this.  

The best parts of my weeks are the lunches I get with my best friend.  

Also I am coming up on 165 days of taking 7500 steps each day.  I'm sure no one can tell but I hope my 51 year old heart is healthier.

Happy Fall!


No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke