Well... Where to start.. And I really am interested in input comments from anyone that might read this... I know that Sarah reads my blog... Thanks Sarah!!
How much does parenting make a difference? Now this sounds like a really stupid question. When my children were young... I had so much control and everything I did really made a difference.. The nurturing, the bonding these things were so tangible so easy to see... Even the lessons about life.. the family home evenings.. the children were so much more compliant.. the answers were so evident.. It seemed so linear.. if you teach them the right things.. they will grow into the productive adults we can be proud of ... they will marry in the temple, have good friends, avoid drugs.... It seemed like if I did enough on my part I could write the story of their lives.
AND I do have to say... TEACH YOUR KIDS WHILE YOU CAN... Take advantage of the years when they like you.. when they hang on your every word. When they ask you so many questions you want to scream.. Answer every one.. Teach them the gospel .. bear your testimony.. because one day.. what you teach will be a soft tiny voice in the background of the other influences and if you didn't get what you wanted to teach in there it will be 10 times harder.
So with the emerging independence and moodiness and free agency kicking in ... I ask... how much of what we do really works or matters?
Now this may sound really cynical or critical.. but really.. if you sit in a gospel docrine class or a relief society.. the young ones have all the answers. The young mothers answer everything (no offense to young mothers) idealistically. The older mothers with the kids who have strayed answer things carefully if they comment at all.
I guess when I look back on my life.. my parents made a huge difference good and bad on my decisions... But ultimately I had to make the choice..
Now... I wonder.. is what I am doing making a difference?
1 comment:
Okay, so I am WAY behind on my comments, but YES you're making a difference. (I may be one of those new moms you're refering to, but I'm not one of the young ones!) Think of Enos, or Alma the younger, reflecting back on what their fathers had taught them (although I think you're right about getting it in while they're young). You may do less "teaching" with teenagers and more "facilitating", but the lessons and seeds you've planted are definately there and with nudging they'll bubble to the surface when they need them. Or the strimpling warriors--they did not doubtthat their mothers knew it and they lived on their mother's beliefs befrore they had their own. Another thing to take away from that story is that none of those boys were killed, but all suffered wounds and injuries. I think that our kids will live and come out stronger because of our teachings, but they will not come through completely unscathed. (Nor will we!)
Post a Comment