Sleep. It is a very good thing. As a night shift employee of many years I have a unique perspective on sleep. Most months I work 5-6 nights. This is the equivalent of a shift and a half per week. This is manageable. The night or two that I work has to be balanced by some extra sleeping during everyone else's waking hours. I have always tried to do this while Kris was around so that my kids didn't feel like they were slighted. I have always tried to go to Sacrament meeting. Even if I work the night before (and I usually do). Saturday is a good night for me to work.. because Sunday afternoon I can sleep with both eyes closed. (kris can handle any crisis). But that means that I will grab a nap for an hour on Sunday morning and then go to my meetings ...most of the time all three.. and then retire at 2pm for the rest of the night.
The real trick with all of this is not reverting to a complete night shift schedule at all times. Your body's circadian rhythms will adjust to one or the other.
WHY am I mentioning all of this... Well 2 reasons. November is a crazy month. I am filling in for 8 or 9 shifts. This is 2 a week. Which is a whole new animal. Meaning I am going to be grumpy.. or silly.. (that story is coming next). This weekend is an illustration. I worked Friday night... so I slept Friday afternoon while my older girls were home. Then worked the night shift... slept in Saturday day. Woke up at noon ( your body fights sleeping in the day)... took some Benadryl. Slept til 8pm. Woke up did some laundry.. talked to the trick or treaters and then went in at 1am for half a shift. Problem was it was the switch to standard time... so 2am is 2am for 2 hours... Stayed until 9am because it was crazy.. then went to church... Our church has a thing called fast and testimony meeting. It is awesome. People bear testimony of truths. I love it .. really. Sometimes people say entertaining things. When I am not tired.. I can filter this out. When I have had no sleep.. I cannot. I started elbowing Kris during the meeting and giggling uncontrollably to myself. Finally he said.. You better go out.. your a little hysterical. So I went into the lobby and laughed like a hyena for 10 minutes. It was not my finest moment. I had to apologize to the family out there and tell them how tired I was. Then I went home at 2pm after choir... slept after FHE til 7pm and was up til midnight cuz my body was confused... Then slept in until 9am this morning ... cuz I have to work tonight and tomorrow night too....
AAAGH.
Thus... I have to balance what I will and won't be able to do this month... My house is not going to be clean.. I may get some laundry done. I will maybe make dinner 2/7 nights. And it's ok.. But mainly I will be HOARDING SLEEP.
1 comment:
Ah Christy - I'm sorry I gave you such a crappy schedule! I know how much it sucks to work those night shifts. But I'm glad you are here for us and able to cover during this short staffed time! Cuz you are an awesome nurse and I love working with you! Sherri said she'll do the noc shift schedule for Dec so it'll be much better for you I'm sure! LOL. See ya soon.
Julie
PS - I love it when you are "silly" - it's always entertaining!
Post a Comment