Sunday, April 11, 2010

Childhood Memories



Do you have a favorite childhood memory? I guess because I have been sick alot the last month or so.. I have thought back to my childhood. I was sick with ear aches and sore throats and one of my favorite things was when my mom and dad would rock me to sleep in the rocking chair.

And my dad would sing to me. Lullabies. Not your average rock a bye baby.. although he would sing that... but cool stuff like "fly the ocean in a silver plane...see the sunset when it's wet with rain".. and also "two little boys had two little toys" which is a very old song about two boys who grow up to be soldiers. My dad would rock me to sleep during thunder storms too. In those days, I was never allowed to sleep with my parents (except when dad was out of town). But I was always tucked into sleep every night and I was often rocked in the rocking chair.

What is particularly funny about this is my dad has a horrible voice. It isn't in tune or choir worthy. But it is very soothing. Once when I was in college I got very sick. I was lonely and far away from home. I remember I called up my dad and I asked him to sing to me... and he did.

Last night I had a horrible sore throat.. I went to the doctors and got a penicillan shot. I felt like I was 14 again instead of 40. I went home and crawled into bed and wished that I was home. Back on 156th street in my old house that belongs to someone else now. I wished my mom was rubbing my head and making me Mrs. Grass soup with the golden egg in it. And I wished that my dad was singing me two little boys.

I had a pretty good childhood.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke