Friday, June 25, 2010

Parenting Handbook




Yes .. It has been awhile since I waxed philosophical. I guess it's time once again. I was thinking tonight about some of the many dilemma's facing my children and their friends. As children grow and mature they are thrust into the world and all of it's challenges and they need our help, prayers and love. How we help them isn't always very clear cut.

When a child is young it seems to be easier... in some ways. Toilet training... there are books, references, opinions.. but in the end.. it's not rocket science and it eventually happens. (I know it can seem like eternity). Same with binkie removal, bottle and breast weaning, sleeping in the big kid bed... time outs...

When a young person is a teenager/young adult.. they are grappling with bigger life altering decisions...... and sometimes the answers as to how to parent them through it all ... aren't apparent. I think that listening to the Spirit is crucial. Because ... what works for one kid.. won't work for another.

I am a real if ... than person.... I try really hard to think through what my particular strategy will accomplish in the long run... but it's hard to account for everything and individual agency and personality factor in pretty heavy.

There needs to be more of a parenting handbook for this stage... Where can I buy a copy? Sometimes I just throw up my hands and say "what to do?"

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke