
It is once again that time of year that we spend all year planning for. Summer. Summer is a mix of camps and vacations. When you have 5 children it requires a little finesse and a calendar in your kitchen, purse and head. It starts almost a year in advance.... and the money required is astronomical!!!
Unfortunately, to participate in High School sports in a competitive way.. summer represents camps and tournaments that are not optional. We are lucky that in our small town the girls really love their coaches and teammates and the other parents. So together we figure out transportation, food and fundraising and somehow manage to get them through the process.
Summer is also the time for Especially For Youth. I have a personal testimony of this program. I spent two summers at EFY as a teenager and it really changed my life. So I make sure that the girls get to go to this.. Stefani is going to Tacoma and Shelby to Utah. Hailey will be going to Girls Camp.
Vacation wise we are planning one mega trip. This will be to Canada for a triathlon for Kris and a long overdue visit to our dear friends the Morrows... and then we'll swing down to the Oregon coast for a family reunion with my parents and brothers.. The first such reunion for my family EVER.
Then there are babysitting jobs, time at the local pool, annual trip to the waterpark
(the girls earn free tickets by reading minutes)..and time with friends.
In August we must shop for the new year and update backpacks, sports gear, clothes (the jeans are all frayed and torn) and shoes...
In between I try to fit in some nursing shifts to pay for all of these "extra" perks. I think that we have tried to give the kids a lot of activities and memories and I really hope they appreciate the time, effort and money that it entails. We are all very blessed in our "busy"ness and opportunities.
No comments:
Post a Comment