Friday, January 21, 2011

Pioneer

Today I'm thinking of a remarkable woman.. My husband's grandmother is 101 almost 102. She is a woman for the ages. When I think of a person who is almost perfect in every way... it would be her. She has led an exemplary life. Certainly her calling and election is sure and there is a place in heaven for her... but not right away... Grandma still has things to do.. And I'm almost certain that she could live to be 110.

This week she broke her pelvis .. in 3 places... And so my sweet mother in law has been nursing her, advocating for her care and ensuring that her wishes are met. And that means that she had surgery. I don't know many 101 year olds that have surgery.... in fact I was almost certain that it wouldn't be an option... But then again... most people aren't like Grandma Bea. And if she could recover from hip surgery at 97... She can recover as much as possible from this procedure. And that is our prayer at this time.. That she can recover and live the remainder of her days on her terms and the way that she wants.

Amanda is named after Great Grandma. Amanda Beatrice ... so that when times are tough she can remember that her namesake was a pioneer. A woman who lived through remarkable times with a formidable spirit and a determination that would never quit. A noble and elect lady.

She could have been born at any time.. Of this I am quite certain. She could have crossed the plains with the pioneers... lived at the time of Christ... survived the plague or rode on the ark with Noah. Not many people can handle anything... but she can. (I'm just amazed that I can get through some of the easier challenges life has thrown me.)

Now I am hoping that she can have a painfree, comfortable next few days and weeks. And that she will feel our love and our prayers.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke