By and large we are a very healthy lot. We rarely get sick. So when it happens we appreciate our good health. As a nurse and a mom I do border on the paranoid. I'll admit it. That's why I appreciate the 2nd opinion of someone...to help me look at things from a different perspective. Sore throats are a bit of a quagmire for me... My father suffered from rheumatic fever as a child.. it kept him out of school for 9 months. I took ALOT of penicillan as a child. My parents took no chances with a sore throat.. given my dad's experience. So I have a hard time being nonchalant about them. Shelby had a sore throat for a few days and I tried to gauge the seriousness of it. I let her sniffle and when she said she wanted to stay home last week... I knew that it was time to check it out. That girl would never miss school (basketball) for a minor reason. The rapid strep was negative but the culture grew out STREP. Yep Strep. So we had one child taking medicine. Fast forward 24 hours. I go attend Hailey's basketball game and she is huddled on the bench in a coat. My throat hurts so bad mom. All it took was a call and then she too was on meds.
Now almost 5 days later myself, Stef, Amanda and Brooke have had symptoms. So I have little bottles of medicine lining the counter.
A part of me really doesn't like it. I mean, I don't want to contribute to the antibiotic resistance of the new millenium and I do believe that most things are viruses.. but sometimes you can't argue with a culture and the way germs spread through a very large family.
And yes ... I did throw out all the toothbrushes.
Wiley Sanders .. had sedation last week and debridement of a paw infection. We were thinking he was going to have a paw -ectomy or a toe-ectomy... for a tumor.. but it is just a bad infection. So we give him his pills every night also. And we have to wrap the paw. Which is hard. He wants to lick it and have the cats help him take off the wrap. So then we put this cone thing on his head. It gives him the message that he can't mess with the wrap. We've also resorted to duct tape and spare socks to keep him from licking it.
Basketball is still on our agenda every day and the older girls are winding down their season. They almost won their game against Vale.. putting them tied for 2nd in the league. Stef played some really awesome defense and made a 3 pointer. Shelby played the entired JV game and it was very gratifying to hear the opposing coach yelling... get number 3.. everyone guard number 3!!!! In my own way.. I felt like I was the mother of a celebrity!!!!
In the last few days I have been grateful to live in a time where we have modern medicine and cures for sickness that in the past would've killed or maimed or at least been more than a minor irration. We are remarkably blessed in spite of all of the little things that challenge us.
No comments:
Post a Comment