Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mother's Day




Mother's Day this year was interesting. I'll spare you the really gory details... But apparently being a mother isn't just about being praised and adored. Seems you have to warrant some of that by not being a dragon lady the week before. Now that I am taking Zoloft again. I'm thinking I'll be a real peach for next years Mother's Day.

Now that Kris is in the bishopbric he gets to assign speakers for talks. He assigned one daughter the talk for Mother's Day. I'm not going to lie. I was kindof looking forward to that talk. But due to a combination of factors she was unable to give it and left the meeting ... Shelby jumped in and gave a nice mini talk that saved some of my dignity. Although little of it was left after said husband told the whole ward I didn't eat my Mother's Day breakfast. I was really running for Mother of the Year at that point. It doesn't help that I play the organ and sit up in front of everyone. I'm mastering the art of smiling at everyone while not reflecting what I'm thinking. This is a valuable skill.

Highlights of the day were a special baptism that Kris got to participate in and then the Elder's coming to our home to skype their parents/families. Their joy and enthusiasm were contagious. Then we all ate barbecued hamburgers.

The day wasn't a total disaster because we were celebrating the 14th birthday of Hailey Mae. Although we didn't do much celebrating JUST for her... I did buy her a camera at Costco yesterday. So I think we are okay in that department too.

Even though I can be selfish and wrapped up in myself, I must say that I do spend a great deal of time worrying about my posterity and trying to make their lives worthwhile. That makes me part of the big club of mothers out there that are doing their absolute best. I have great role models.. my mother, grandmothers, and mother in law.

I am so proud of all of my kids. Do I tell them this enough. NO. I sometimes focus so much on the lessons I am teaching them and the course corrections needed that I don't rejoice in their amazingness.

Stef.... Working so HARD. Finishing up her school and seminary while almost carrying full time employment.
Shelby... Helping without complaint.. great grades.... dedication to her passion (basketball).
Hailey... Honest ...great friend and example... leader.
Brookie,.,,, Tender heart... good sister... organized..
Amanda.... Awesomely entertaining and fun.

So here's to being a mom. My most important job.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke