Tuesday, May 8, 2012
Control
I've decided recently that all human beings desire some control over their lives. Some people really need higher levels of control than others. This seems to be inversely proportional to the amount of stress in their lives. For instance, when people are very ill they like to have control over aspects of their treatments and medications and can become really upset when they lose this control. Sometimes, as a nurse, I have to recognize that a patients's distress can be a natural response to their loss of control.
We all want to control things within our schedule and particular jurisdiction. We want to decide when and where we will spend our free time, what we will eat and what we will wear. Any parent can tell you that very quickly their infant child (whose whole life they controlled) becomes a toddler with specific opinions on what they will wear and eat. While I was pretty particular about what my kids would eat on a given day, I used to let them decide what they would wear.. and it was pretty comical sometimes.
Teenagehood is a big wrestle for control. Parents navigate tricky waters deciding which things their kids can take control over and which should remain in their domain. It is really fun giving kids control over decisions and watching them have success. This does oodles for their self esteem. It is also hard to not step in and exert control over a situation that will hurt your child.
I think it's important for me to sometimes relinquish control of situations and circumstances to others. This allows them to make choices and feel more joy rather than having me control or make the choices entirely for them. We are all happier.
Heavenly Father is the biggest example of allowing us full control. We call this agency. His biggest gift to us is letting us be the captain of our lives. Every decision we make is ours to make alone. He never forces us.
It makes sense to me than, that we need to allow others freedom and feelings of control over their own lives. We may need to closely examine our attitudes and interactions and make sure that we don't impose unnecessary control...
Just another thing I'm working on.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke
No comments:
Post a Comment