Sunday, January 13, 2013
May the Force Be With You
Amanda came home from school the other day and said, "Mom we are playing Star Wars on recess and I really don't get it."
In other words my daughter missed the phenomenon of Star Wars. She was born 25 years too late. Have I ever mentioned Star Wars as the theme movie of my life? I watched Star Wars with my dad and brother the weekend Jared was born. It was my favorite. I was Princess Lei for halloween and played Star Wars regularly with my brother Dan. In those days you had to actually wait for a movie to come out to find out what was going on...and so we anxiously awaited each installment in the Star Wars series. We didn't own a VCR or have any way of replaying the movies. But it was more exciting that way. To bring Amanda up to speed I rented all 6 episodes and the other night and we started with the original. She made it through about 20 minutes until she fell asleep..not from boredom but from being so tired.
She was tired because we had spent most of the night at basketball. It was a loss to Vale, the State Championship team. Shelby was a little down. We finished watching Star Wars together, her and I with Amanda snoring in the background. I was hoping that Star Wars would inspire her. Who isn't inspired watching Luke destroy the death star or Obi Wan bowing his head so Darth Vader can strike him down to become more powerful in death? I was hoping the force would be with Shelby as she played on Saturday.
We woke up Saturday and decided to go to Boardman for the Riverside game. Boardman is 5 hours away. We drove there Kris and I without the little ones and watched the JV girls game. Hailey played well and with her usual charisma. She flirted with all the boys and socialized with teammates. Basically she was in her element. Doing well in the game was an extra perk. During the JV boys game I ran upstairs to take a break. On my descent I took a mis-step and landed with my foot turned. I felt a pop as the cartlidge tore. Then I laid there unable to move as I tried to figure out how to stand up. Someone went and got Kris and he ace wrapped me up and settled me on the bleachers with a large ice pack to watch Varsity. Then he went to go commentate with the local radio announcer.
The girls haven't lost to Riverside in probably 15 years. The game started out ugly with little or no offense from our girls. Shelby fired off several three's which didn't find the bucket. As my ankle swelled even more I tried to decide why this year has been such a struggle for Shelby. She has worked so hard to prepare for this season. Her dribbling and ball handling skills are unparalleled. Her team is mediocre and that makes it hard for her to shine. She can't single handedly win the games. She has some hard decisions to make for next year. Will she play for a community college? What is the right thing for her? About this time in my ponderings.. Shelby made a surge. She hit two three pointers in a row. She nailed another basket. The team showed signs of life. It was in full resuscitation mode...with the Shelbs leading the effort. Hailey went in to sub during the defensive plays because Shelby was in foul trouble. Hailey Mae got a steal and did some really good strategic fouling. Then they would put Shelby back in during offense to lead the charge.
Ultimately when it came down to the wire, the girls lost by about 5.
By then I was asking people in the stands for Vicodin. I settled for a few Alleve. The throbbing was keeping time with the very annoying music playing in the gym.
We stayed to watch the boys Varsity. They truly got hammered. I told myself that sitting on the bleachers watching basketball with my swollen ankle was better than sitting in the car for 5 hours. I also started focusing on one of the referees who looked like Sean Connery. He obviously spent some serious time in the gym. Even Kris was impressed by his physique. Hey, I needed something to keep my mind off my ankle. And by then it had doubled in size.
The games ended.. as they always do and we packed up to head out. I hobbled down the bleachers and slowly up the stairs. I fantasized about the muscular ref carrying me out to the car.. but this is reality and in real life... those things don't happen. Kris just stood by me yelling.. "go up with your good leg." So helpful.
We arrived to our little home at 1:45 am. So today I took a sick day. I skipped church to pamper my purple ankle. I watched Empire Strikes Back and explained the intricate plot details to Shelby. She noticed that Yoda says, "Try... no don't try, DO!" Just like her coach..
After awhile we are going to finish the day out with Return of the Jedi.
I have my heated blanket on, my ankle propped up and my snacks to the side. My children are doing the chores.
Life is good. Even if it isn't perfect. And now at recess, Amanda can really play Star Wars.. and know what she is talking about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

No comments:
Post a Comment