In honor of the Month of February I thought I would do a post on love. I could post about Groundhogs Day and the irony in the fact that we've really had no winter at all to speak of. This could lead to a lively discussion of Fast Sunday yesterday and how everyone is fasting and praying for rain and one dear brother called us all to repentance and chastened everyone who planned on watching the Superbowl. He tied watching the Superbowl to playing football in the NFL on Sunday to earning filthy lucre and pretty much to the drought and the collapse of western civilization. I think watching something together on Sunday isn't breaking the Sabbath but sometimes I do play fast and loose with strict rules. So there we go...let's just stop that right there and move onto my love post.
LOve. I recently checked out the book about Love Languages. Everyone has their own love language. Apparently there are 5. My language isn't pretty words or gifts (although let's be honest I am a sucker for flowers)....my language is Acts of Service.
Nothing says I love you to me like picking up the house, or repairing the ding in the Sheetrock(hint) or cleaning up the dogs barf. I love it when my honey does things on the honey do list.
I think learning your spouses love language is difficult and quite honestly the reason many marriages don't succeed. Most marriages that fail do so because the partners could not communicate. It's like one is speaking German and the other French and just yelling it louder at the other.
Maybe your spouse thought that working hard for the family was a way to show his or her love? Maybe they were trying so hard, but their efforts were wasted on someone who could not or would not see?
It isn't as dramatic to say, my marriage failed because of lack of communication. It doesn't garner sympathy or generate labels...or as much side taking as other excuses. And it requires honesty..because it takes two people to communicate. So both have to take responsibility..
Anyway..I think I am going to research what Kris 's love language is a little more. I probably try to give him love in my language. If there is a foot rub love language...that would be his!
In other news...I have had about 1.5 weeks off work now...I'm feeling very rested and antsy to get back. I drove to see Hailey play basketball the other night and stayed the night with Shelby, who is still out with a concussion. We loaded her up with groceries and Amanda asked her friend Julio some questions like...what kind of cologne do you wear...you smell so good!
Kris has been coaching and had a player go down with a concussion in his away game..and ended up staying the night in the hospital and riding home with the players' family. These concussions are serious business and just prove that basketball is a very rough, contact sport.
Speaking of rough and sports..the parents of players get so out of hand! I speak as a reformed bad sports parent. It's so not worth it to be anything but a positive parent. No matter how much time your kid plays, no matter how much they complain at home, it's so important to support the program and the coaches and to encourage your child to play to the best of their ability and to contribute however they can!
Now that I've touched on several random topics I will post my to do list...just because that is a way I express love to myself..by helping this old mind get organized..and I worry less if I get it out of my brain and down onto a list..
....renew drivers license
....order jam berry nails..yeah!
....sign Hailey up for SAT/ACT
.....make some cookies
.....make some no bakes
.....get Sheetrock repair kit
.....collect all tax info
......check into scholarships for Shelby next year
.....order Shelby concussion headband
.....read my scriptures daily
.....pray more
.....gossip less
.....find Kris a super awesome valentines gift
No comments:
Post a Comment