When I was a little girl I learned how to sew. One of the first things I learned to sew were some bean bags for my dad to juggle. I loved watching my dad juggle over the years. Bean bags, balls, scarves... he could do it all. And he pretty much taught himself.
I know how to juggle too. Not bean bags but stuff. My life is one big juggling act.
This week was another really interesting week.
Monday was the day for Wisdom teeth extraction. We drove early to Bend and met with the oral surgeon. Initially he showed us pictures of Hailey's jaw 7 years ago. It was a frightful mess and I almost cried looking at it. I'm so thankful that we've been able to help her have all the necessary surgeries and dental procedures to correct her mouth. Those procedures are not at an end however. She had 3 wisdom teeth removed Monday and also had a bone graft done. She will receive a dental implant in the back in the next few months. I'm trying not to think about how expensive this will be. She really does have a million dollar smile. Literally. I really like our oral surgeon. It doesn't hurt that he looks like Elvis Presley. I like him even more because he only recommended one implant and decided we'd wait and see on the other side.
Hailey was sleepy and groggy after her procedure and then proceeded to take several selfies and snapchat videos that she sent to her friends. She drank a jamba juice and took her pain meds. I dashed about town taking the other kids to the orthodontist and filling prescriptions. I drove home and bought some food after being told "we have nothing to eat". Then I parked Hailey on the couch.
She has pretty much stayed there for 2 1/2 days. I have regularly changed her ice packs and fed her cool soft foods. I have given her penicillan every 6 hours. Sometimes she will text me with a request. Other times she will call (she is downstairs on the couch, I am upstairs in bed).
Yesterday.. I got a call from work. They needed help. I decided that being at work for 4 hours helping deliver a baby sounding more fun than making jello and listening to my teenagers whine. So I texted Hailey's friend and asked her if I could pay her to "babysit" Hailey and the sisters for a few hours.
When I returned home at 8:30pm with milkshakes... I heard the interesting tale.... of the afternoon. Hailey was pretty out of it. She was going to have some visitors but the friend told them not to come (specifically the 22 year old young man/friend from church who was interested in paying his respects). Good Call! At the same time... Brooke, Amanda and another boy were joy riding in the friend's car up and down our driveway. Apparently the boy had just failed his permit test and so they decided to drive???? WHAT?
Yes, I think I am parent of the year. But everyone is still alive. And sometimes that is all you can say.
The night ended with me being told that I am a horrible parent, that I was hated and that I never do anything.
Since I hear this about every 10 minutes, I am... as the Book of Mormon says .. past feeling.
After juggling all this stuff.. I have also been a little concerned about how to juggle all of the various costs and charges involved with 2 almost 3 kids in college and it's been keeping me up at night. I am also trying to help Hailey apply for college.
For some reason I've managed most of our finances the last 3 or 4 years. I'm proud of how well I've been able to do... but sometimes I needlessly bear the burden alone. Last night I had a great talk with Kris about some strategies for paying for stuff and prioritizing and I felt so much better to share the juggling with him. Because he doesn't purposely leave me to manage alone. And we are on the same page spending wise.
Plus ... he doesn't hate me. Which is a plus.

No comments:
Post a Comment