Sunday, November 23, 2014

Silver Linings


Sometimes things don't go like we plan. In fact, most of the time things don't go like I plan. And that is ok. I have mastered the art of regrouping and finding the silver lining.

This weekend was our anniversary. I initially was a little perturbed that we had a kid tournament that Kris planned for Amanda's travel team. I had to focus on the fact that Kris was being an awesome dad and that Amanda was enjoying time with friends. The kids played a game Friday and then we all met up and played in the hotel pool and did some shopping. The kids collapsed into their beds at 11pm and then I listened to Amanda's friend talk in her sleep all night. It was crazy.

Shelby texted to say she was very sick and the coaches at her tournament had taken her to urgent care. Turns out she has strep throat that has kept her from playing all weekend. I am sad for her that her season is starting out so disappointing. It's also frustrating that she seems to be a strep magnet and that we may be looking at surgery or at least close monitoring of her health for a while. But I have enjoyed talking with her lots this weekend and am grateful it isn't worse.

Stefani drove up to see her cousin the next few days and met us at the game Saturday. It was awesome to spend time with her and eat lunch together. She took Amanda to the movies for us Saturday evening so we were able to have a DATE!

This was the big silver lining to the weekend. We ate dinner in Boise in the same general area that we had our engagement dinner. (the actual restaurant no longer exists). Then we drove to the train station and walked over to the area that Kris proposed in. I wasn't expecting us to go out Saturday night because of the tournament so I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy some time together.

Earlier in the day Amanda jumped up to fight for a ball and re injured her arm. I'm hoping it's not re broken. I don't think it is. She is able to move it well and it isn't swollen at all... but it is giving her a fair amount of pain. Sigh.

When we got home I realized I'd left my ipad at the hotel. I remembered my underwear and swimsuit which is better than I sometimes do. I've left underwear in hotels before. Luckily it was found in housekeeping and Stef went and picked it up for me. Since I should see her next weekend, I should eventually hook back up with my ipad..which is a plus.. since it could be lost forever.

The Expedition is not working and so we are down to 2 cars. This is also a little bit of an inconvenience.. but having a car that isn't working is starting to also feel a little normal. It's hard to believe that in the early years of our marriage we had only one car and we juggled all of our activities around the one car. Now we have 3 and we complain when we can't use all 3. So it's all good.

I just need to always expect that things will go a little bit funky and then I'll never be surprised. Because things always end up different then what I expect. But pretty great nonetheless.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke