Saturday, February 28, 2015

Goals and evaluations


Some good news!

After much prayer and hard work Stef got an internship!

She will be going to Colorado all summer and then graduate in December. She's pretty stoked about this. We are proud of her diligence and efforts in her studies. She doesn't have a lot of time for anything else. And she's juggling a job too.

Also Brookie passed her permit test! She has to take it a few times, it's pretty hard. But she got up early yesterday, studied and and passed it. Then we took the old truck around the town and practiced driving. She was driving like a pro and showed some excellent parking techniques. Probably she parks better than I do in 30 years of driving. I also told her that I am a pretty chill driving teacher. That is, of course, since I had an accident not 45 seconds from my first driving episode..post permit test. When I hit the rosebush belonging to Mrs. Leonard.. may she rest in peace. I actually love being with my kids when they are learning to drive. I think it's good fun.

Wednesday we went over to Ontario and watched Shelby's last home game and Sophomore night. It was fun to watch her get to start and play a little more than she has normally played this year. She stuck up for herself too when she was pulled and yelled at. I think experiences like this have built her confidence and fortitude. Her coach is a very passionate man who yells a lot at the referees and players. When the parents and kids lined up to receive recognition and their framed jerseys he shook Shelby's hand and told her he would give her a job any day. I appreciated that. I'm glad he recognized her work ethic. He has improved the team in the 3 years he has had it and I think it had a lot to do with recruiting good kids like Shelby. Many of her teammates are LDS and they are all like a family this year. She has learned so much from playing basketball in college. I'm glad for all of the experiences, good and bad. Today she is in Pendleton for the absolute last game of her life and I'm so happy that Gpa Jim will be there as our family representative.

Hailey Mae and the team are playing today to get into their State playoffs. I have pretty much banned Hailey from the house. I have been pretty sick with the flu. I don't think it's bothering Hailey much to be told to stay at her best friends house. I mean basically I'm saying, "Hey do whatever you want.. here's some money. Stay away!" What teenager doesn't want that. I'm drugging myself up and giving myself extra breathing treatments so I can try to attend the game... (where I will sit alone and try not to breathe on anyone). Then I plan to wipe the entire house down with Clorox wipes. Illness brings out the cleaning fiend in me.

I do telephone triage in my job. It's really not my favorite. People call up with their medical questions and I have to answer them. Some questions are really interesting. I have a book I can follow but after 20 years, I can answer some without following any protocol. The other night I had a call about a high fever, and weakness, sore throat. I pretty much told the poor guy that he had influenza. Influenza is getting people this year, even those who were vaccinated. Coincidentally I had a febrile Amanda at home on the couch watching every video of Anne of Green Gables we own. She was weak and hot. Her big complaint was her "eyeballs feeling hot". I think she probably had it too and after being down 3 days she is now doing better. I am now having hot eyeballs and achy muscle fatigue. Yeah for me! And I got my vaccine.


So anyway, that's the situation this weekend.

Some of those things we got done were goals I've got jotted down in my notebook (help Brooke get her permit)... or were goals that my kids had (internship, college, play basketball in college).

Goals are important. And one of the best ways to feel some success and accomplishment is to review your life for goals set and accomplished. This is one reason why it is good to keep some kind of record ie journal or blog.

Looking back over my blog I see how far the kids have come. I recognize patterns and see things I need to do better on. I get to reflect and reminisce.

Reflection is powerful.

And reminiscing is comforting.

It reminds you that the things you are doing are worthwhile and important. And that is easy to forget in the crazy, busy world we live in.

I'm grateful that my parents taught me to reflect and to reminisce. I've been told that I have good insight. In the context of my sometimes frenetic life with my tendency to get down and discouraged.. having insight is a gift that can anchor me.

And of course having the gospel and perspective on the importance of our families and the work we do within them is also powerful and comforting.

And taking the longer view. What is frustrating in the short term, generally works out over the long haul.. with patience and hope.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke