This week I did some big spring cleaning. Kris had gone fishing last weekend and I came home and lamented the very sad appearance of the lawn, the shed and also the layer of dirt gracing the car port. I may have become slightly irritated. Then I may have had a tantrum.
Then I apologized for the rant and we made a plan. Kris agreed to take a load to the dump and mow the lawn. He also agreed to respond in a fairly timely manner to a honey do list. Then he also bought pizza for some men in the ward who help move furniture for us.
I bought some leather couches from a dear friend that is moving. This upgraded our living room significantly after the aforementioned men helped move them in. Then I went through my closet, my room, the living room and the pantry. I threw out things that were old. I filled 7 large garbage bags with donations for the local thrift shop. I had to be brutal. If I hadn't worn it in 1 year or it was just in my closet because I felt sentimental or guilty I tossed it. If Kris had worn it in high school or college I tossed it. If it was gathering dust and I didn't love it I tossed it.
Then I took the 7 bags to the thrift store and got a receipt where I detailed what each item was worth.
I like this much better than doing a yard sale. You do a yard sale purely for the experience. If you like to feel the cash in your hands and take the time to set all your junk out on tables and then haul it back into your house after everyone has pawed over it, by all means... do a yard sale. But if you just want to be more organized and have less stuff. Donate it. If it's good stuff that can be reused and you put an honest value on it... then you have a receipt that can be used for tax deductions... and it's less painful.
So there you go. The real trick now is to enjoy less stuff and not immediately try to fill up the house with new stuff.
Yesterday Hailey turned 18. To celebrate we took a bunch of her friends out to dinner. We also brought Uncle Kerry and of course our whole immediate family.
Tonight she attends the prom. Here is a silly picture of her modeling her dates tuxedo.


No comments:
Post a Comment