Thursday, May 30, 2019

T shirt quilts

I realize that I never blogged about the cute gifts I made my adult kids for Christmas. I took all of their old T shirts that they had from cheerleading and FFA and basketball and made them each a quilt with their stuff. Stef had one made for her by Gma Alice many years ago and I copied this pattern for the other 3. Also it makes for a warm and comfortable reminder of childhood/teendom. It's kindof a nice way to preserve memories. Kris's mom has made him quilts over the years with old race t-shirts, and we have a wonderful quilt his grandma handmade of silk ties. Brooke's is purple with her FFA and cheer shirts, Hailey's teal with her basketball and BYU Hawaii stuff, and Shelby's was orange for the many Chukar basketball orange and blue shirts she amassed over the years. Each shirt has approximately 12 shirts. So this was a fun way to recycle a drawer full of t-shirts. I have some shirts that Amanda has put away for her own quilt and I hope to make her one soon.

Each quilt took me about a week to complete. Luckily I watched a lot of Netflix while I finished these. I made a template and then cut out each shirt and put interfacing on the back to make it easier to work with. Then I sewed a contrasting fabric to each square to form rows.. which I also sewed together. I backed the quilt with a minky fabric and then bound it with blanket binding. I hand tied the quilt to add stability. It's nothing super hard or complicated.

Here are some pictures.

No comments:

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke