My enthusiasm for working part time is waning a bit. There is such a fine line between enough work to be stimulating and too much. When I was casual those 4 or 5 shifts kept me human. Now those 8 or 9 shifts keep me busy. I remind myself often that it Is not full time and that I am so grateful for my blessings.
This weekend, working and sleeping made it hard to complete my ever growing to do list. Last night at work I made a giant list of all the many things I needed to accomplish during day light hours. Putting it on paper made me equal parts anxious and relieved.
Amanda's dear friend had a birthday today and i decided that I wanted to make them both jammies and their Americqn Dolls jammies too. It was an ambitious project that I started Saturday. I pre washed and cut out the material. After working Sunday night I woke Monday at 2 and then sewed for 4 hours. After working Monday night I slept 2 hours and sewed all day today. I overestimated my abilities and underestimated the time needed. But despite needing to change the bobbin 400 times and having other minor glitches I finished the friend's set and got Amanda's set done enough that you could get the idea.
I managed to write a few notes to send in the mail, call and reschedule some important things and find someone to work for me Thursday so we can go tom state games on Friday.
I did not shower or brush my hair. I think I ate a granola bar. I had plans to wrap the gift up all spiffy but as I was running late I wadded the jammies up in my lap and drove into town. While Amanda walked into the party 10 minutes late I was sewing a button on in the car. I finally sauntered into the gala and unceremoniously dumped my wad of sewing on the table after announcing to the birthday girl that I had sewn her some things. It was truly tacky. Seriously. I'm not even exaggerating. It was beyond tacky. But I was so tired I really didn't care. In retrospect..it wasn't a good time to show everyone that they had matching jammies. They couldn't try them on and do a photo op and it looked like I was trying to upstage everyone. Everyone was exceedingly nice and it wasn't embarrassing. But that particular crowd doesn't know me very well and I'm sure formed some interesting opinions on me. Jana would probably just laugh at me if I did that in one of our get togethers. She's awesome like that.
Anyhow, as I'm analyzing it with clinical detachment...I realize two things. First, sometime I am so ready to complete a to do list item during day light hours that the completion takes precedence over important things like hygiene and social etiquette and secondly...I think I'm going to be one of those little old ladies that wears anything or walks around without her dentures.
And tonight I am not at all disturbed by these conclusions.
It is now several hours into my tasks and the house is cleaner and I am more organized than I was this morning..I will sleep at night for a few more days.
And that is probably
A
Good
Thing....
4 comments:
You are so funny. Gracie LOVED the jammies. She said they were her favorite friend present. The funny part is that Jill arrived just before you did and exclaimed, "Her present from me is actually wrapped!" Jill and I are both known for not getting gifts wrapped (quickly shoved in a target bag is more my style) so your entrance felt more friend-like, familiar and comfortable than any other. I was just glad that you made it! You could come in a gunny sack, dread locks, stinking like poo and everyone would still love you.
Thanks Courtney (:
looks like they turned out great! and I agree with what Courtney said how could anyone not love you no matter what your mood or how you look! I hope you get some rest...we will be up in a couple weeks, it's be great to say hello!
I love reading your blog. You are real and it is refreshing. I think the world of you! Awesome matching jammies!!
Post a Comment