Saturday, June 2, 2012
Thank Heavens for 7 Year Olds
Back in the day when I had 4 young kiddos and a baby I was not thinking that they would ever grow up. I don't think I thought they would ever leave. My life was full in a busy happy way. T-ball...piano students..preschool and dance lessons. Back then there was lots of happy summer days of the sprinkler under the trampoline and the slip and slide.
These days there is a lot less of that. Sometimes it is very sad. Almost all of my 4 oldest are in the teenage years and beset by those issues. Who is friends with who this week? Make-up, zits, boys... those kinds of issues. My college girl doesn't even live with us (silent cry) so I have to wait for phone calls and texts about her world.
Thank heavens for Amanda. Amanda's world is still very child centric. She and her buddy gracie play American Dolls. Sometimes their dolls grapple real world issues but mostly they just play. Yesterday they wanted to go to the new park structure in town. While there they ran happily from plaything to plaything and then noticed all the sprinklers watering the park lawns. After asking permission, they ran fully clothed through the sprinklers. It was so awesome.
Today, Amanda went to the pool. She was maybe one of the few in town to christen it for it's 2012 opening day. This didn't bother her at all. She was all about the water and her swimming. Good kid fun.
Yesterday the thought occurred to me that in 1 year... I will only have 3 kids at home and in 3 years I will only have 2 children at home. And in 3 years.. all of those kids will be out of the grade school! (Yes Brooke will be in high school in 3 years).
This cannot be happening so fast.
So when think back to my decision to have another baby, I think THANK YOU 33 year old self. Thanks for lumbering through that miserable pregnancy to have the world's coolest kid. What would my life be like without Amanda? It would be much less rich.
My life wouldn't be complete without any of my wonderfully unique children. And Amanda will be my buddy when they all leave... Until she leaves me too.
Then I will have grandchildren. And I can't wait. Life is like a speeding train ...Remember to enjoy those times with your young ones. They end too soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
amanda the princess and chauffer Brooke

1 comment:
This post made me cry. How I also love Miss Amanda and what joy she brings to all of us who are around her. From her outfits to hairdos and everything that she does. I am glad you decided to have another baby and the fact my little ones are growing up with her brings me lots of happiness. Can't what to see she and Shaylee as teenagers.....
Love you...Jana
Post a Comment